cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stop all services doesn't stop all services

robnicholson
Level 6

Am I doing something wrong? I wanted to do some maitenance on the server so used the option in BE 2010 R3 to "Stop all services" but see this screenshot:

http://www.picpaste.com/Stop_services_leaves_some_running-t3QJ50mw.png

Specifically the following were not stopped:

1. Backup Exec Deduplication Engine
  2. Backup Exec Deduplication Manager
  3. Backup Exec Error Recording Service
  4. Backup Exec PureDisk Filesystem Service

Wonder if they'll get restarted when I "Start All Services".

Cheers, Rob.

2 REPLIES 2

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...I've seen this happen, but generally because BE has been waiting to do something in the background. I got around it by stopping the services manually, or killing the processes.

Since those are manual services, they probably don't get stopped as part of the BE service restart/service stop...

Carlos_Quiroga
Level 5
Employee Accredited

Dear Sir:

The problem you are describing happens in many of the Customer cases we attend at support services.

In many cases, the Backup Exec Service Manager is not able to stop all the services, for a number of reasons, and the option in that situation is to shut each service down by hand.

The Backup Exec services are listed in Windows' Services (start - run - services.msc) with the "Backup Exec..." prefix, except for the database service which is named "SQL Server...".

You can double click each of those services, and in the properties dialog for each service you can check the "Path to Executable" textbox where the name of the executable file for that service is displayed. You may try to stop the service with the "Stop" button on each properties dialog.

Once knowing the executable name, you can also use Windows´ Task Manager to stop each service manually.

If you find that you cannot stop the services with the tools described, you will have to restart the affected server, and then if the issue keeps occurring you can contact us again so we can help you further troubleshoot.

Services related to Deduplication, and the Error Recording Service, will not stop when you run the Stop All Services command from the Backup Exec Services manager. You will need to stop them manually as desrcribed above.

The Deduplication Services depend on an additional database engine service called "postgresql-8.3" so you must stop that engine first before stopping the deduplication ones. The Error Recording Service is not related and can be stopped without worries.

Please be careful when operating with the contents of the deduplication folders if you are using such devices, and specially in versions prior to Backup Exec 2010 R3. Before attempting any manual maintenance task that involves this resource, I suggest you contact us first.

Regards,