cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden "cannot connect to remote computer" errors

mhunsworth
Level 2
I started getting errors when connecting to my exchange server after the weekend after having run backups on this machine successfully for months.

There's been no change on either server (exchange, and the backup exec server) prior to these errors.

The full error is:

Error category : Resource Errors Error : e0000f04 - The media server could not connect to the remote computer. The remote computer may not be running the Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows/Linux. Make sure that the correct version of the Remote Agent is installed and running on the target computer. For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-3844
I've checked the information from this link, and that made no difference.

The remote agent is running on the exchange server. I've restarted the service to make sure it was running.

My backups of other servers running the remote agent have been working fine during all of this, it seems to only be this exchange server.

Any ideas on why I'm not able to communicate with one particular server all of the sudden?

Thanks!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi,

IF you run LiveUpdate, it is possible that an update has caused this...
That said, I'd look at uninstalling and then push-installing your RAWS agent. Doesn't take that long. If it happens again, I would suggest updating your media server with all available patches, and then pushing those patches out to the remote servers.

Laters!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

CraigV
Hi,

IF you run LiveUpdate, it is possible that an update has caused this...
That said, I'd look at uninstalling and then push-installing your RAWS agent. Doesn't take that long. If it happens again, I would suggest updating your media server with all available patches, and then pushing those patches out to the remote servers.

Laters!

mhunsworth
Level 2
Hmm, on top of my original problem, it appears I can't push install any longer now either.

I uninstalled the agent as suggested, but when I went to push install I get an error "Error connecting to the remote server. Ensure that server is available, has WMI enabled, and is not blocekd by a firewall. 14"

WMI is enabled, the firewall is not on (and has not been on during this whole run of issues) and is available - I can browse to it from the Backup Exec server.

Dev_T
Level 6

Hello,

Please follow the steps for manual installation of the Remote Agent on  32bit/64-bit

1  : Copy 2 folders for 64-bit server(RAWSx64 & MSXML) & (RAWS32 & MSXML for 32-bit remote server)from C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Agents folder on the remote 32/64 bit Server
2  : Open the RAWSx64/RAWS32 folder on the remote Machine and run setup.exe
3  : Follow the steps and make sure that Advance Open File Option is unchecked while instaiiation
4  : Finish the installation and make sure that the Remote Agent Service is running.

mhunsworth
Level 2
It appears to be fixed now, I used what you said above Craig with a combination of installing the agent manually I found elsewhere on the forums. I think the updates where the big factor, so thank you for that information!

mhunsworth
Level 2

Thanks, I just saw that elsewhere on the forums as well, but your time and response is appreciated!

CraigV
Glad it is sorted out :)