cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suddenly getting backup failed errors with x64 servers after MS patch day

Ortho_Lawton
Level 5
For the last 2 days we've been getting backup failed messages for all our x64 servers, although all the 32bit servers are still OK. The error is:-

Backup- \\TS2\C: System
Directory \ was not found, or could not be accessed.
None of the files or subdirectories contained within will be backed up.

Looking at the actual backup I can't see anything on the server that wasn't backed up.
When selecting C: for a restore there's a red circle with a cross next to it, but all the files available for restore appear to be there.
Backup Exec and the agents are all the latest versions.

The only change between when it worked and when it started failing were the monthly MS security patch day patches.

Anyone else noticed this or have any ideas?

Many thanks
10 REPLIES 10

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Have you installed SP1 of BE v10.1?if yes, have you upgraded the remote agents on the remote servers?

Regards,

Ortho_Lawton
Level 5
On the server Veritas update says I've got the following installed:-

be5629RSP1_282818
be5629RHF9_281149
Be5629RHF26_282970
BE5629RHF29_282662
be5629RHF34_284447
be5629RHF33_284165

The clients aren't as easy to tell, but the file version of the x64 beremote.exe is 10.1.5629.34

Thanks

Robert_Cook
Level 2
I am seeing this exact same error situation. This is only happening on a 2003 R2 x64 system. I get the same 'Directory \" on C:, complete with the red crossed-circle under Restore, though nothing I can find was skipped.

The backup server itself is 2003 R2 (32 bit), version 10.1.5629, hotfixes 31 and 34. The remote agent is x64 10.1.5629.34. all other systems are backing up without error, mix of 2000/2003/2003 R2, all 32bit.

Its interesting that you mentioned this worked fine before the last patching MS updates. This x64 server is our first x64 install, and was newly installed on the 27th. This was actually my last hurdle to see if I would be keeping the x64 or dropping back to 32bit...I dont want failed error alerts paging me every day.

Do you know what patches these were? With this being a new server, I have the luxury of testing. I can unstall those patches and try one by one to find the culprit.

Unless Veritas has found this out yet?

Thanks,
Robert

Ortho_Lawton
Level 5
It's no help, but I'm sort of glad it not just me getting this error.

The only consolation is that everything seems to be backing up correctly, despite the error

aravind_kondapa
Level 6
There is hotfix 31 which fixes many problems regarding Windows 2003 R2.
Not sure if it will be of help. Here is the link:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/284103
You will have to reboot the media server and push install all agents and reboot the remote servers also.

Did you try backing up just the folder that is giving problem?

NOTE: If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Robert_Cook
Level 2
Not trying to steal the thread Ortho, so hope you don't mind the posting. Just the first time I've seen someone with the same error posting. I tried backing off August's service packs, but didnt change the outcome for me.

Aravind, I already have HF 31 installed (I know you were talking to Ortho). The error doesn't tell you where the hang up is, only there is a subdirectory ("\") under C: with a problem. This is after trying everything I could find, applicable hot fixes, reinstallation and updating of the agent, new job/selection from scratch, etc.

"Backup- \\GCGA-DC02\C:
Directory \ was not found, or could not be accessed.
None of the files or subdirectories contained within will be backed up."

Through much trial I've narrowed my problem to 2 directories that throw this error:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Symantec Shared\EEngine
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Virusdefs

A full backup with these 2 directories excluded worked without a failed condition. There is nothing out of place as far as file permissions goes. But backing up one or both of these directories, whether with the rest of the system oe individually, throws the vague failure status. But every file in these directories are in fact transfered to tape. These directories do not throw an error for any of my 200/2003/R2 32-bit systems.

I don't consider it a fix, just a work around, but i'm fine not backing these 2 directories now that I actually know what they are. Its better for me than to be alerted that my (future) domain controllers are failing backups when they are in fact backing up 100%.

I hope this helps in some way track the problem down.

To edit, this is the code:
Error category : Job Errors
Error : e00084af - The directory or file was not found, or could not be accessed.
For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-33967

The 4 suggestions following the link does not apply to my setup, but I tried them anyway to no avail.Message was edited by:
Robert Cook
added error code itself

Ortho_Lawton
Level 5
That's fine Robert, any input is helpful getting to the bottom of this issue.

We're also using HF 31 already and also got Symantec AV installed, so that may well be the problem

I'll try excluding them from backups and see if that fixes it.

Very strange error though considering the files actually do backup OK, perhaps fixed in BE 11 ;)

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

Could you please Update us on the issue?

Thank You,

Shweta

Ortho_Lawton
Level 5
Yes, as Robert found out excluding the two Symantec AV Corporate directories from the backup job prevents the jobs failing.

A permanant solution requiring Symantec's backup division to talk to it's AV division would be preferable though ;)

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hello Ortho and Robert,

Thanks a lot for your valuable inputs! The same would be forwarded to the engineering!

Regards,

Asma