cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Superloader 3 and BE 2013 R3

MSoth
Level 2

Hi there,

I am planning to have a Quantum Superloader 3 installed at our office. I have a question on the operational side.

Can I assign different tapes to different jobs that would run on the same day.

I need to segregate the data on the tapes: i.e. tape 1 - for job 1 - for server 1, tape 2 - job 2 - for server 2, etc. The loader should remove tape 1 and load tape 2 for job 2 etc.

Your feedback is appreciated,

Thank you,

Manfred

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

The only way you will segregate jobs to tapes and make sure ONLY these jobs use specific tapes is to partition your library. This is simple enough...go to the Devices tab within BE, right-click your autoloader and choose the option or partitions. Create as many as you need.

Then edit your existing jobs and point them to a specific slot.

The other option is to let BE choose any tape available, and protect the tapes by correctly assigning the Append/OPP settings on a media set.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Do note that if you partition each slot into a single partition and the tape in it is full, your job will FAIL because BE cannot fetch another tape from another partition and there is no way to introduce a blank tape into that partition.

It would be better to let BE use any recyclable or scratch tape in the library for each job.  See my article below on this subject

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/must-mondays-backup-be-monday-tape

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

The only way you will segregate jobs to tapes and make sure ONLY these jobs use specific tapes is to partition your library. This is simple enough...go to the Devices tab within BE, right-click your autoloader and choose the option or partitions. Create as many as you need.

Then edit your existing jobs and point them to a specific slot.

The other option is to let BE choose any tape available, and protect the tapes by correctly assigning the Append/OPP settings on a media set.

Thanks!

lmosla
Level 6

yes, in agreement with CraigV and here is a link about partitions for more info   http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH27909

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Do note that if you partition each slot into a single partition and the tape in it is full, your job will FAIL because BE cannot fetch another tape from another partition and there is no way to introduce a blank tape into that partition.

It would be better to let BE use any recyclable or scratch tape in the library for each job.  See my article below on this subject

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/must-mondays-backup-be-monday-tape

MSoth
Level 2

Hi there,

Thank you all - your feedback was very helpful. Manfred