cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Support for Kernel-Based Virtual Machines

Pierluigi_Canto
Level 3
Partner

Some advice about Support for Kernel-Based Virtual Machines (KVM) while BE for Windows is installed on a Windows virtual machine in that environment and the Tape Drive is attacched to the physical host where  KVM is installed on ?

I mean something like http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH130609

... but on a KVM environment instead of ESX.

Thanks !

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...Symantec only support the Hyper-V and AVVI agents...I don't see any problems getting BE to run on a VM (I used a VMware Workstation VM to test some things locally on my laptop)...but getting it to connect to any backup device might be a problem, and it is here where you're going to run into issues if you log a call with Symantec over backup/restore problems!

Thanks!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV

BE would only be supported on Hyper-V or ESX with specific requirements to run BE as a VM.

Anything else wouldn't be a supported configuration, even if you get it working.

Best bet is to check out the Backup Exec 2010 SCL, specifically the section on Media Server compatibility...

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH137682

Pierluigi_Canto
Level 3
Partner

Thanks Craig !

I already looked at SCL.

It only argues about media server OS (that is Windows only) but not about using it as a Guest VM (in this way there are not even wards about ESX support in the SCL...but only about the AVVI).

Thank you everywere. 

CraigV

...Symantec only support the Hyper-V and AVVI agents...I don't see any problems getting BE to run on a VM (I used a VMware Workstation VM to test some things locally on my laptop)...but getting it to connect to any backup device might be a problem, and it is here where you're going to run into issues if you log a call with Symantec over backup/restore problems!

Thanks!