cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Support of XP SP2 clients

Greg_Huntzinger
Level 4
I would like to know if clients running the agent accelerator on XP SP2 with the firewall enabled are finally fully supported in 9.1? If not, when?

I currently have both 8.6 and 9.1 servers and would be willing to upgrade the 8.6 servers to 9.1 if I can be assured that this problem is fixed. I have a few 8.6 clients that installed SP2 and I have having a long list of headaches with them, even after placing the BE agent in the exceptions list. I have not had a chance to change these clients to the 9.1 agent and try them on one of the 9.1 servers.

Thanks for the help!

Greg
5 REPLIES 5

Ameet_Thakkar
Level 6
Kindly refer the following technote link mentioned below as it would help you solve the problem that you are facing.

Title:- Important information regarding Backup Exec for Windows Servers and Windows Service Pack 2 http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/270139.htm
Please refer the related documents as well from the technote mentioned above.

Please carry out local installation of remote agent on the suspected machine and let us know the result of the same.
You may refer to the following technote :- How to perform a local installation of the VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) Remote Agent for Windows Servers or the Advanced Open File Option http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/258982.htm

Once you carry out the above step, please refer to the technote mentioned below in order to confirm is remote agent is properly installed on the target machine .

Title:- How to confirm if the VERITAS for Windows Servers or a complete edition of VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) is installed on a remote computer http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/255137.htm
---------------------------------------------------------------

We hope this helps. Let us know if the problem still exists and revert back with the error message.

Dipti_Chinchole
Level 6
Kindly update us on the status of the issue.

Greg_Huntzinger
Level 4
Sorry, didn't intend to keep you waiting, I've been working on something else.

Since this is the 9.1 forum, let me make it clear that I HAVE NOT YET TRIED 9.1 with an XP SP2 client. All of my current XP SP2 clients happen to be connected to my 8.6 servers. My single 9.1 server does not now have any XP sP2 clients. I am simply asking if this problem is really, REALLY fixed on 9.1. There are several things that I dislike about 9.1, but I'd be willing to put up with them if it works properly with XP SP2 clients.

With regard to your reply, Document 270139 refers to document 270126, which seems to be missing.

I've checked the remainder of the information in the other documents, and my (8.6) client installation is correct. I have done manual installations for several years with previous versions.

The symptoms that I see are:

1) from the server, when I try to select the client running XP SP2, it takes about 5 minutes for the client drives to show up.

2) I get successful backups of the client data drives, but not system state.

Thanks!

Greg

Jamie_Tatum
Level 4
The Windows XP system state is protected in part with VSS. VSS support is new to 9.0 and continues to be supported in 9.1 and 10. At a minimum you need 9.0 to protect XP and 2003. I realize you are backing up XP with 8.6 "successfully"... Restores are going to be the problem there, particularly system state.

SP2 has been tested with 9.1 and 10.0 pretty extensively. Most XP machines in house are running SP2 at this point. Why not load the 9.1 remote agent on one and try it? You can uninstall it and revert back to the 8.6 agent at any point if you need to.

Thanks for the feedback on that technote. I've passed it along to our knowledge management team.

Greg_Huntzinger
Level 4
Thanks, that was what I was trying to find out. This has never been clear, and certainly was not clear in the kbase. I'll try to setup a test with my 9.1 server this week.

Greg