cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec 11d and Symantec BE 2012 upgrade, license problem

Elefanten
Level 2

Hello

We have one customer with a single old physical server running Symantec 11d on a Windows Server 2003.

A new server has been bought and installed with ESXi 5.1 and one VM running Windows 2008 R2.

The customer altso bought "Symantec Backup Exec 2012 for Vmware and Hyper-V UG Lic Express" and wants us to install this on the new VMware.
I noticed that this is an upgrade license and i am afraid that this will not work as it needs some kind of full license when i try to install.
Is it possible to install Backup Exec 2012 upgrade version on VMware and in a way import the old Symantec 11d license ?

What steps can be done to solve this ?

BR

Elefanten

6 REPLIES 6

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Couple of ways you can choose...

1) If not too concerned about maintaining the existing settings, jobs etc, you can perform a fresh install of BE 2012 of the VM. (You can check with licensing regarding the appropriate product license keys and do bear in mind, whilst BE is supported for install on a VM, backing up to a tape drive is considered alternate configuration. KB - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH130609)

2) Perform a multi-step upgrade from BE 11d to BE 2012 (i.e. upgrade from 11d to 12.5 atleast and then from 12.5 to 2012) on the existing server. Post the upgrade, migrate the software from Win 2003 to the new machine.

Elefanten
Level 2

Ok, we will go with option 1 and a fresh install of BE 2012 on the VM a backup tape unit is connected and mapped in to the virtual machine.

But in the Add Licenses installation box i have added 2 Serial numbers
-Agent For Vmware and Hyper-V
-(Maintenance) Agent for VMware and Hyper-V

I click next and i get to select one product Agent for VMware and Hyper-V and i get a message box "A serial number for the Backup Exec product must be entered to add options."

Seems like i have to enter the serial numer for BE 11d, but how can i add this serial as BE 2012 only accepts SLF files it seems ?

Regards
Elefanten

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

The 2 serial numbers which you have currently seem to be correct (-Agent For Vmware and Hyper-V
-(Maintenance) Agent for VMware and Hyper-V)

You would need the base product license to be added first...(It's typically named Symantec Backup Exec)..Once this license is added, the other license (Agent for Vmware & Hyper-V) can be added.

Be 11d's serial number would not be accepted in BE 2012.. The licensing folks should be able to assist you further with obtaining the appropriate base product license for BE 2012

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Ok, we will go with option 1 and a fresh install of BE 2012 on the VM a backup tape unit is connected and mapped in to the virtual machine.

This is not a supported configuration. See this

VMware KB: Configuring vendor-supported tape drives and media changers on ESX/ESXi 4.x and later

Since VMware does not support pass-thru to tape for ESX 5.x, then Symantec will not support it too.

Your client only bought the upgrade licence for Hyper-V.  This is not enough.  He needs to buy the upgrade for BE itself.  This will give you the new licence keys for BE 2012.  You can then use this licence key to install BE 2012 and then apply the Hyper-V licence to allow you to backup Hyper-V

Elefanten
Level 2

Ok, thanks for answer.

pkh, just to clarify as you mention Hyper-V license and not VMware, the one the customer has bought is :

Product Name / Description :

SYMC BACKUP EXEC 2012 AGENT FOR
VMWARE AND HYPER-V WIN PER HOST
SERVER BNDL COMP UG LIC EXPRESS BAND
S BASIC 12 MONTHS

And he will not get very far with only this and an old backup exec 11d ?

Regards
Elefanten

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Sorry. I should have said Hyper-V and VMware earlier. Yes. He only got the agent to backup Hyper-V and VMware. He still needs to upgrade BE 11d to BE 2012