cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec Backup Exec 2010 R2 not taking backup of copied files in Linux Agent

upbmocf
Level 3

Recently we have purchased 3 Linux agent for symantec Backup Exec 2010R2. As disucussed with symantec Technical support engineer they shared that

Archiving Mode will work for Windows and Modified Time will work for linux. So I have configured a Full backup of Modified Time in policy and completed sucessfully. But for checking the Incremental backup i just copied some file to the folder and modified some files and run Incremental. But my modification files are complted and not the copied files. I checked and found that the copied files date and time are old date and time when were files created. But modified files date has been updated to latest date and time. So when i run the incremental modified files are incremented and not the copied files.

Comments: We first run fullbackup and do the incremental backup for another 3months. After 3months only we will again run the Fullbackup.

Note: We are using EMC backup client Retrospect and there its working fine no issues. But we facing only in symantec.

Can anyone have the solution for my issue. I am expecting symantec to address this issue, since we are in epublishing company we cannot go and modify each files to change the datee and time.

9 REPLIES 9

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

First I would recommend you to update your Backup Exec to BE 2010 R3 SP3.
http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH203157

You don't mention your Linux version, is it listed in the SCL of Backup Exec ?

upbmocf
Level 3

ZeRoCOOL,

Our Linux version is Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 4 (Nahant Update 7). I have also updated my Backup Exec to BE 2010 R3 SP3. But same issue. Please find the attached screenshot.

ANevatia
Level 4

Hello,

I would like to explain you the methodology behind Full and Incrementals using the modified time.

When we run a full backup using modified time the Backup Date and time gets stored in BEDB.

So when you run an incremental it compares the time and date from the stored one in BEDB.

The Incremental backup will only backup the files which have been modified after the time of the last full backup.

I hope this answers your issue. If not please clarify your question again.

Thanks,

ANevatia

upbmocf
Level 3

ANevatia,

Thanks for your suggestion!!!

But in Retrospect backup server(EMC) its taking the incremental backup of copied files even older Time and date after fullbackup. We are facing issue only in sysmanetc.

ANevatia
Level 4

Hello,

You welcome. I apologise but I didnt understand the statement when you say that EMC is taking incremental backup of copied files even after older time and data after full backup.

-Incremental backup will only backup the modified files after the Full backup - Thats by design. It will not backup the Files which have not been modified. If you want to backup those files as well you should be backing up using the Differential backup method.

upbmocf
Level 3

ANevatia,

We tried with Differential also but no luck. Differential menthod also takes more tape we have to consider that also know.

ANevatia
Level 4

Hello,

Ok. As I have stated earlier - Incremental Backups will backup files and folder modified after the most recent full backup.

Can you please explain when you say " But in Retrospect backup server(EMC) its taking the incremental backup of copied files even older Time and date after fullbackup. We are facing issue only in sysmanetc."

Regards,

ANevatia

upbmocf
Level 3

ANevatia,

If I run incremental backup its just cross check the full backup and backups the updated, copied and modified files to the incremental backup, not like symantec taking only the modifed files to the incremental for linux agent.

Regards

upbmocf

ANevatia
Level 4

Hello,

Well I am not aware of how EMC works but with Backup Exec Incremental backup will backup all the modified data since the time of them of the most recent full backup and that is by design.

Thanks,

ANevatia