Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec Backup Exec 2010 R3 on CSV

John_Dawson-Boo
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi there,

I have a 2 node CSV on which live a number of Hyper-V virtual servers. If I (using the Hyper-V agent) back up a virtual; server where the server is on the same node that owns the CSV the backup works fine. If, however, I try to back up a hyper-V server that is on the other node, it sits thjere for over half an hour doing "snapshot processing" before failing with the error "Snapshot provider error (0x173D): Backup is in progress. Please wait for backup completion before trying this operation again" appears during a backup of a virtual machine or files that reside on a Cluster Shared Volume (CSV).

I have had a look at the technote http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH77118 but seeing as I can run the backup when no others are running it doesn;t seem top make entire sense. To prove the point, I migrated a server for which the backup was failing over to the other server in the cluster and the backup then worked fine.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks

John

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

John_Dawson-Boo
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Just to say, I have resolved this issue by addingthe BE service account to the security properties of the cluster in Failover Cluster Manager and also to the local administrators group on each of the Hyper-V hosts (though this shuoldn;t have been strictly necessary as the service acccount is a domain administrator and Domain Admins were already in the local admins groups.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

John_Dawson-Boo
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Just to further clarify this post in the hope of getting an answer:

Server1 and Server2 make up the cluster CLUSTER1

There is one Cluster Shared Volume CSV1 (in reality there are more, but for simplicity...)

Server1 owns CSV1

Hyper-V server 1 (HV1) is on Server1, Hyper-V server 2 HV2 is on Server2

The Hyper-V agent is installed to the media server. The remote agent is installed to both Server1 and Server2

When creating a selection list, if I expand CLUSTER1 under domains etc, I can only see HV1 as a Hyper-V server to back up i.e. I can only see the server that is on the node owning the CSV.

If I migrate HV2 to Server1, hey presto I can now see it. Similarly, if I migrate HV1 to Server2 it disappears from selection.

Has anyone any ideas?

Thanks

John

John_Dawson-Boo
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Just to say, I have resolved this issue by addingthe BE service account to the security properties of the cluster in Failover Cluster Manager and also to the local administrators group on each of the Hyper-V hosts (though this shuoldn;t have been strictly necessary as the service acccount is a domain administrator and Domain Admins were already in the local admins groups.