cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec Backup exec 2010 - Daily backup scheduled dates reverts back

Sakthi
Level 3

Hi All,

I am new to the Backup exec 2010 software but I have been taught the basic operations and I am still learning the admin guide to understand this great software. 

The person before me scheduled the daily backups to run 5 week days and excluded the weekends. This was working fine until 04/01/2011, as I have been told to introduce a new tape for the next day's backup. I copied the settings and did a new tape. later on that evening I found the job status showing the "Invalid Schedule" and the start time was a default timing and not the scheduled timing. So far, I have n't touched the "schedule" section.

Apart from the daily backups, we have Monthly and yearly backups. When I checked the monthly backups I could see the scheduled dates.

Then I started to fiddle the schedule section on that day trying to re-schedule, when I selected the "edit schedule setting It was clear and I couldn't find the previously(by the person before me) scheduled dates. so I changed it to a specific date which is wednesday 05/01/2011 and submitted. After that the whole job got vanished, from the "job monitor" page. I could not explain why that happened.

The next day, I re-scheduled for the whole year by selecting the standard backup properties from the "job setup" page. Then everything seemed to be normal, which is the daily backup appeared showing the status as "scheduled" on the "job monitor" page and it was a successful backup after tuesday(04/01/2011).

Today(07/01/2011), again I found the scheduled backup had a "Invalid schedule" on the job monitor page. I rescheduled again for this whole year and submitted it. After that the same thing happened, the scheduled daily backup got vanished from the "job monitor" page.

so temporarily, i have set up the daily backup to run today at 11:59:00 Pm, selecting the daily backup from the "job setup" page.It now shows as the job is scheduled to run today on the above mentioned time. on the "job monitor" page.

Why is this  happening ? What should I do in order to run the backups as per the schedule. Please elaborate the answers as I am still learning this software.

Thanks in advance.

13 REPLIES 13

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Refer the following Tech Note.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO22634

Hope this helps..

Regards...

Sakthi
Level 3

Hi Kiran,

Thanks for the fast response. I checked it but the "availability window" has not been selected for both the daily and monthly backups. Which mean the resources are available at any time for a backup. So that is not the conflict.

Kind Regards,

Sakthi.

Sakthi
Level 3

Hi Kiran,

May be I will try the other options and let you know.

Thanks again,

Sakthi

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

There are two schedules in BE, one against the selection list availability and one againt the job schedule itself - if these two schedules conflict you will get very odd results in terms of when jobs actually run and how visible they are in the job monitor.

Recommendation if you have not had chance to understand the effects is to disable the selection list availability window completely as then you will only be looking at one set of dates/times.

Sush---
Level 6

Here is the technote which explains why you are getting the job status as "Invalis Schedule"

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO22634 : About scheduling jobs

This technote will also give you the links for the technotes for:

Scheduling jobs

and

Setting priority and availability windows for selection lists

Thanks,

-Sush...

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

@sush,

I also adviced to refer the same TN..

Regards

Sush---
Level 6

@Kiran: sorry ... I didnt check that ... I will edit my post...

Nope :( .. Its not allowing me to EDIT...

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

It's ok Sush. Once replied, we can not edit the original.

Sakthi
Level 3

@ Kiran and Sush, Thanks guys that article was helpful. I was thinking to change the "default settings" for the back jobs but I just wonder whether it will mess up the monthly back up scheme as that is running correctly as it should.

@Collin, Thanks for your suggestion. The selection list availability schedule part is the one we configure when we set up a new back up job, is it right ? If it is, how to make it work with the job's schedule ?. How can I check it ? It would be great if you could please be a bit elaborate. 

Kind regards,

Sakthi.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi Sakthi,

Your jobs time window should be within the selection lists availablility window. It is as simple as that. But if you are having daily,weekly,monthly jobs schedules by using the same selection list then it may be a problem for you to maintain the time windows.

As you are having problem only with daily jobs, just edit the daily backup jobs time window according to the Selection lists availablility window. Otherwise as Colin already told, disable the selection list availability window.

Sakthi
Level 3

Hi Kiran,

Thanks for the suggestion, To disable the "selection lists availability window" where should start, Do I need to select the job, say " Daily backup " properties and "priority and availability" from the list on the left side. is this the correct one ? or if I am wrong please advise the correct method. 

Please don't mistake me, 'cause I am very new to Backup Exec 2010. 

Kind regards,

Sakthi

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Yes you can do it from there. Or else if you have a selection list defined seperately for the daily backups, goto that selection list properties and select Priority and Availablility and unselect the checkbox Limit Availability of this selection list.

No worries Shakthi, in the begining it will take time to understand the functionality of the product.

Sakthi
Level 3

Hi Kiran,

I tried both the ways,

1.  Thro' "job setup" page
  2.  Selecting the "manage selection lists" from the "edit" menu

when I selected the option "Priority and Availability"  I found that the check box for " Limit Availability of this selection list" has been unchecked already and the time frame below the check box is disabled.

Kind regards,

Sakthi