Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec Capacity Based Licensing

Shwin23
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi All,

One of my client has around 14TB of raw data on the primary site and requires a back up;

The backup is taken onto a VM;

Please clarify if 14 licenses of Sym BE Capacity Edition (PER TB) is required for the primary site or both the primary and the DR should be licensed separately;

Also, is it possible to access the information in the DR from the primary site using those licenses?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
9 REPLIES 9

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You should ask the Symantec Licencing Department which is the final authority on licencing matters.

The backup is taken onto a VM;

I hope you are not thinking of using a VM for your media server because if it is accessing real devices then it is not supported.

Shwin23
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Thank pkh!

By real device you mean storage?

My client is using IBM storage for the process;

The backup server is a VM, yes;

Marc_J
Level 3
Partner Accredited
Front end TB (FETB) is based on 1full backup of data. Therefore, it is based on the primary site unless backups are performed in the secondary site. Retension copies do not count.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

By real device you mean storage?

Yes.

The backup server is a VM, yes;

... then this is not supported.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...you would need to move your media server onto a physical server and then present storage from the IBM array to that to backup properly.

Thanks!

Shwin23
Level 4
Partner Accredited

I spoke to my client and asked him to change the media server as a physical one.

So, all i need to do is change the media to physical, purchase 15 licenses of Symantec BE Capacity Edition (Per TB) for the backup to the IBM storage on the Data site, right?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

yes.

VPATIL
Level 3
Partner Accredited Certified

You can have VM based Master server running NetBackup 7.x  however, you need to have atleast one Physical Server working as Data Mover/Media server. I would suggest try proposing 14TB model Appliance, that should be great fit for this enviorment. :)

Cheers..!

Veeru

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...the query involved Backup Exec, not NetBackup.

Thanks!