cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec Exec 2010 R3

Gopishukla
Level 3

Hello !

I am new with Symantec exec 2010 R3 , We want to know how i can take backup over Tape as well as i want to earse contect of tape then what is process is to be followed .

Thanks in advance .

4 REPLIES 4

SuperBrain
Employee Accredited

You have two options:

1. Erase the tape first, then run a backup on it. (See: Erasing a media)

2. Set the Backup job to overwrite the media. This will overwrite the contents of tape.

• In BE console, click on Tools -> Options -> Media Management -> Make sure you have below

settings in place.

1) Overwrite Protection Level is set as "None"

2) "Use Recycable media before using Scratch media" is selected

3) Uncheck "Prompt before overwriting"

IMPORTANT: These settings will apply to all medias (tape/Backup-to-Disk) being used with this Backup Exec media server.

• In the Backup Job properties, under device & media settings, select overwrite option

pkh
   VIP    Certified

1) Overwrite Protection Level is set as "None"

Beware that when OPL is set to "None", your OPP setting will not work and there will be no protection for ALL your media, i.e., all your media, tape and disk, can be overwritten at any time.

Gopishukla
Level 3

Hi !

Thanks for your reply ! i would like to add that we are unable to erase media as option is gray & not able to use , please do let me know about this issue , i would like to add that Tape is already in LTO & showing in offline Media under Media category .

Thanks in advance

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Do an inventory and make sure that the media is online.  Once the media is online, you should be able to erase it.