cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec VERITAS Backup Exec 9.1 gives error: Data Error (Cyclic Redundancy Check)

Ken_D
Level 2
Last two nights, our backup failed on Win SERVER 2000 with this error: "Backup Exec Alert: Job Failed. (Server: <server name>) (Job: <job name>) <job name>  -- The job failed with the following error: Data error (cyclic redundancy check)."

I checked Event viewer and there are three error messages in Application:

Error message 1 said: "Backup Exec Alert: Job Failed (Server: "DATASERV2") (Job: "Daily Backup") Daily Backup -- The job failed with the following error: Data error (cyclic redundancy check)."

Error message 2 said: "Storage device "HP 1" reported an error on a request to write data to media. Error reported: Data error (cyclic redundancy check)."

Error message 3 sasid: "Adamm Mover Error: Write Failure! Error = ERROR_CRC Drive = "HP 1", {2F8962F6-3AE6-4760-AFCB-8F6DD2389CA1}, Media = "Friday Set I", 92990698-3119-4434-BFF8-2744B552E0B7}, Read Mode: SingleBlock(0), ScsiPass(0), Write Mode: SingleBlock(1), ScsiPass(1)"

In System Event viewer, There is also an error: "The device, \Device\Scsi\symmpi2, did not respond within the timeout period."

I did clean the tape drive but still fails on second time with identical error message.  However, when I re-run the scheduled backup manully (ran two times in two days) it ran fine with no error.

I was thinking maybe the tapes were bad but they were backing up data with no error with jobs run manually.  Any help would be appreciated.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
here is the Symantec troublshooting guide for CRC errors

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/192216.htm

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
here is the Symantec troublshooting guide for CRC errors

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/192216.htm

Ken_D
Level 2
I Followed the document and opened the tapes' statistics in Media properties and found there were two hard write errors.  I used a different backup tape and it was backing up successfully over night.

Thanks