cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec and ReadyNAS Pro 4

JJJCR
Level 4

hi gurus, i had a readynas pro 4 and got problem on RALUS Agent.

Had checked this link to install the RALUS Agent: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH135381

But after installing the RALUS Agent it should appear in the Backup Exec media server under Favorite Resources | Linux/Unix Servers

Problem it doesn't appear on the Linux/Unix Servers i'm able to find the Netgear device under Domains.

And every time i click on it, it throws an error "An error was encounted while accessing the device .... etc"

Any ideas why it's not appearing under Linux/Unix Server and why i'm not able to browse the device?

I'm using BE 12.5

Thanks for any help. :)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JJJCR
Level 4

Hi guys, to any one who might encounter same problem. Please check below.

I was able to solve it, by trawling Google. Thanks Mr. Google :)

Here's the link: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&pmv=print&impressions=&viewlocale=&id=TE...

Basically, you need to change the default port of ndmp (network data management protocol), from 10000 to any port that is not being used.

Here's the details on that link above: (you have to make this changes where the symantec backup exec  is installed)

1. type netstat -ano | find "10000"

2. You will see that port 10000 is being used by the sytem already.

3. go to command prompt, at cmd window

4. type: cd C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\

5. type dir, you will notice that there is a file name "services"

6. type: "notepad services" or open the file with any editor you want

7. at the editor browse to the end of the file (you can press Ctrl + end if you are using notepad)

8. at the end of the file add this to change the default port of the ndmp

9. ndmp   87870/tcp  #any comment that you want (remember to press enter)

ndmp 87870/udp #any comment again (press enter)

(port number can be any number as long as it's not used by the system)

(port i had written above is just for example purposes you can write any lucky port number that you want :) )

10. save notepad and exit

11, stop the symantec backup services (services.msc) and restart again the service

12. try again to select  and browse to the ReadyNas Netgear device and you will be able to select the folders already

(Provided you type the correct username and password, username: Admin password: your password)

Hope this helps someone, who might encounter same problem. :)

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The ReadyNAS agent is a special plug-in from ReadyNAS and not from Symantec.  You should get help from ReadyNAS to configure it.

Also, have you installed a RALUS licence on your media server.

JJJCR
Level 4

Yes I have RALUS license, because I got other linux machine on my system and it works fine.

This is a ding dong system, ReadyNAS says that if got problem on Symantec Agent must ask from Symantec.

But Symantec says must ask  ReadyNAS, wow..

Ping pong... any good advice? or does anyone has encountered this problem also.

Thank you.

JJJCR
Level 4

Hi guys, to any one who might encounter same problem. Please check below.

I was able to solve it, by trawling Google. Thanks Mr. Google :)

Here's the link: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&pmv=print&impressions=&viewlocale=&id=TE...

Basically, you need to change the default port of ndmp (network data management protocol), from 10000 to any port that is not being used.

Here's the details on that link above: (you have to make this changes where the symantec backup exec  is installed)

1. type netstat -ano | find "10000"

2. You will see that port 10000 is being used by the sytem already.

3. go to command prompt, at cmd window

4. type: cd C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\

5. type dir, you will notice that there is a file name "services"

6. type: "notepad services" or open the file with any editor you want

7. at the editor browse to the end of the file (you can press Ctrl + end if you are using notepad)

8. at the end of the file add this to change the default port of the ndmp

9. ndmp   87870/tcp  #any comment that you want (remember to press enter)

ndmp 87870/udp #any comment again (press enter)

(port number can be any number as long as it's not used by the system)

(port i had written above is just for example purposes you can write any lucky port number that you want :) )

10. save notepad and exit

11, stop the symantec backup services (services.msc) and restart again the service

12. try again to select  and browse to the ReadyNas Netgear device and you will be able to select the folders already

(Provided you type the correct username and password, username: Admin password: your password)

Hope this helps someone, who might encounter same problem. :)