cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec backup exec 10d backup exchange 2003

alanwong
Level 2
Dear all freind,

I use the symantec backup exec 10d to backup my exchange 2003.
I can see the symantec automaticlly serch two selection : 1. Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes and 2.Microsoft Information Store(First Storage Group).
I would like to know that is it I just want to backup one choice? or both choice I need to backup? What is the different of the choice 1 and choice 2?

Thanks,
Best Regards,
Alan
3 REPLIES 3

Siddh
Level 4

Hi,

The information store can contain storage groups, data stores, and databases.

and

There are two types of data stores: mailbox stores, which store a server's mailboxes, and public folder, Mailbox store contains the mailboxes and Mailboxes contain messages, message attachments, and other types of information that the user might have placed in the mailbox. Mailboxes are in turn stored in mailbox stores.

So when you selcet the Information store you are taking backup of every thing on exchange

taking backup of mailbox means selective backup.

take backup of information store level or storage level and not from mailbox level.

alanwong
Level 2

Thanks for you information. ^^
If I only  want to backup all exchange data and users mailboxes without selective, then I just backup the "Microsoft Information Store" and no need to backup the "Microsoft Exchange Mailboxed". Am I right?

Thanks
Alan

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
When you backup Information store using backup exec 10d , it backups up your mailboxes and public folder . And this backup is useful in performing a DR or restoring the complete mailbox or public folder store

the other selection you have for the Mailboxes and public folder is called a legacy backup method. using the legacy method it will allow you to restore individual email item or individual mailboxes...
So if you want a restore of individual email for users you need to backup the Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes...using this way the size of the backup will increase and also the time for the leagacy backup is extremly slow ...

Further in 11d onwards there is a Granular restore tecnology is introduced through which the information store backup will allow you to restore individual mailboxes and public folder.So from 11d onwards you dont really need to backup your mailboxes and public folder using the legacy method .