cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 12.5 - Behavior Issue

Khue
Level 4
I do a full back up on Sunday nights of one resource. The following night I do a differential. The full back up of the resource is 500 gigs. The differential the following evening is 70-80 gigs. I find this a little bizzare based on how the resource "should" be used. Is there a way I can get a complete listing of the files that were backed up off of the differential? The goal is to try and track the behavior that is tripping the archive bit on so many files. 
6 REPLIES 6

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Check if there is any antivirus scan or any other program which resets the archive bit .
Make sure there is no other backup running for that server ..

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

There is not such report in backup exec reports . The only way to find this out is the job log
You can go to
tools--Option--job logs
and set the option so that the job log includes the information , about the directories ,files and details ...

Hope this helps in finding the root cause for the issue

Khue
Level 4
2 Questions:
1) The server is running SAV 10.1. Can SAV really reset the archive bit?
2) Adding that option to the job logs seems like it could increase the size of the logs. What ramifications could turning on that option have?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
1)  Some older AV products would indeed trip the Archive Bit, but if this is what is happening, you would expect your DIFF to be the same size as your FULL

2)  This can indeed create a HUGE log file, and IMHO should only be used for troubleshooting purposes

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Is there a way I can get a complete listing of the files that were backed up off of the differential?

Create a new restore job.  From the selection section, you can expand the media used by your differential backup and see all the files that are backed up.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
1. its just a possibiblity as there can be some other reason for the archvie bit to be reset as well.eg some query or application  which modifies the file or access the file.

2. You just temporarily need to set this job log settings to find out for which files the archive bit is changes . And that try the size of job log would increase.