cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synthetic Backup Issues

kered248
Level 2

We have been a BE shop for a very long time, and we recently upgraded to BE2010R2.

We are really keen on using the Synthetic Backup option.  When trying to create synthetic backups, I have come across several issues; maybe some one could help me find the correct answer or best practice.

1st-I want my incrementals to go to a storage pool of backup-2-disc targets.  Is this possible?  I can make the backup go to a single backup-2-disc target, but I have several targets.  I need to send these to a pool.

2nd-I'm not sure why you cannot backup system state with the synthetics, but where does that leave me?  I guess I understand that for whatever reason  you cannot put the system state information into the synthetic, but it should at least let me backup the system state to my incrementals and then if needed strip it out of the synthetics.  So now I need to run a separate job for system state items?  That is garbage.

Thank you for your advice in advance.

4 REPLIES 4

teiva-boy
Level 6

1.  Not possible I believe.  It has to go to a single target.

2.  Synthetics were meant for file backups only.  no system states, databases, applications, etc.  Just files.  You typically should have two jobs for each server anyways, it's not garbage, this is how it's been preached as best practice for years.  VSS where it's needed, and separate jobs with it turned off (application Db's and such)

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

This is by design.  Backup Exec will only support System State Synthetic backups for Windows 2000, not Windows 2003.  Deselect the Windows 2003 System State from any Synthetic Backup policy selection list.

As per the technote " http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH52013 "

Sush---
Level 6

Any updates on this ??

Thanks,

-Sush...

Sush---
Level 6

Are there any updates on this ??  I would appreciate if you can update the post from your end. If you have got the required Information please mark the Solution and close this forum post.

Thanks,
-Sush...