cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synthetic Backup with Netware server agents

Erik_de_Jong
Level 2
Running BE10 on Windows XP with the advanced disk backup option and 2 netware servers with an agent.

Created a synthetic backup policy and backup selection which included my netware data servers.

When creating jobs from the policies it gets stuck on the Netware server selections.

I only selected the volumes of those 2 servers.
Why isn't it accepting the 2 netware servers (10 volumes) ?
4 REPLIES 4

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,
When you get 'stuck' while making the netware selections as you put it, do you get any error message or does the application simply hang? Have you installed the remote agent for netware on the netware machines? Can you backup these machines in a normal backup job?
Please check if the netware agent is installed and running on the remote servers as well as that you have entered the license keys on the BE server for the netware server agent.

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Erik_de_Jong
Level 2
Yes the selection works fine, a normal backup works fine (the agents are installed and functional)

only the synthetic backup option doesn't accept the netware agent after applying the job from the policies.

The error message is something like: Synthetic backup doesn't support databases to be selected....

I even tried to select only 1 file on a netware server, but the error stays until I deselect every netware server/agent.

Erik_de_Jong
Level 2
Now running the latest versions according to Veritas Update.

Still get the message: "Only file system resources are supported with the synthetic backup template and any associated full or incremental job templates."

I can't even select 1 file on a netware server with a synthetic backup policy.

Please provide me a solution for this issue.

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

Unfortunately the Synthetic policy backup has certain limitations whereby it supports only file system resources. Databases are not supported, that is the reason it is giving you errors.

For more information on Synthetic backups, refer to the section on 'Requirements for Synthetic backup' on page 904 in the Backup Exec admin manual for 10.0. Refer to the following link for download:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/269777

Addiitonally refer to the following technote:

Title: When attempting to associate a database backup selection list to a synthetic backup policy, the error "Only file system resources are supported with synthetic backup template and any associated full or incremental job templates" is generated.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/277397

Hope that answers your question. Revert in case of doubts.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.