cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synthetic backup

Tero_S_il_
Not applicable
Hello
I am using windows 2003 server and veritas 10 built 5520 + hf 7 and hf 15.
I have configured synthetic backup as it has been described in manuals, I think that part is ok. Full backup went ok.
But now I have troubles with archive bit. I created incremental backup to use "Changed files since last full or incremental -Using archive bit (Reset archive bit). Now sometimes backup works ok and it backups only those files whose archive bit has beet set, but sometimes backup job tries to back everything on that directory, that I am backing up and that takes too much time. And sometimes job just fails. Unfortunately it do not leave any marks to event logs, that could be traced.
I would be very appreciative to anybody, who could help me with this problem.

t:tero
3 REPLIES 3

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

As the synthetic backup job fails what is the exact error message in the job log?

Please elaborate the steps you have executed to perform this backup.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Wolfgang_Bruchh
Level 4
Hello, I'm seeing same behavior on a BE 10.1 Rev 5629 running Synthetic Backup vs. a remote server (all are on Win2K3).
Baseline backup is 103 GB
Typical incremental backup is around 9GB (daily).
Synthetic backup is scheduled for the weekend.
All jobs are running and nothing fails but all of a sudden I see Incremental backup in sizes of 60GB and even 100 GB. As there is no error or job failure I guess this is linked to the BE DB. What should I do? Run a DB repiar? I'm scared that then I produce other errors and need to reconfigure all my B2D devices and all jobs.

Cheers
Wolfgang

Wolfgang_Bruchh
Level 4
Are there any news on this?
In the meantime I reinstalled BE from scratch and created selection lists, policies, and jobs, as well as B2D folders.
Now the full (Synthetic) backup takes 103 GB and is running on a Sunday.
The first (Monday Incremental - Synth.) Backup took 9GB which seemed to be OK. But the next day it took 28GB and on Wednesday 43GB. It will probably end at 103GB.

Has Veritas a fix for this increasing misbehavior of Veritas 10.1?