cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System Lock on Quantum SuperLoader

TeeJayUu
Level 4

Hi

Have just purchased a Quantum SuperLoader 3 and using BUE 2010 (R1).  Every time I perform an operation on the tape (Job, Inventory, etc) I get the following when I try and eject the tape:

System Lock, Chk Bkup SW Cfg

Admittedly, I am new to tape loader having used a HP DAT 160 drive, but the only way I seem to be able to eject the tape is to turn the server off, turn the Quantum off, turn the Quantum back on, eject the tape and turn the server back on.

Does anyone one else use a SuperLoader that can point me in the right directionor is it something to do with BUE?

Thanks

Tony

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

@TeeJayUu - I think you should not disable the locking of the library.  If you do that, someone can remove the magazine while a backup is being done and you might end up with a failure.

You should schedule an unlock job instead.  Right-click on the library and select Unlock.  You will get an Unlock job, you can then use the schedule section to schedule it to run at a convenient time.  I run mine at 0845 hours so that the library is unlocked when I start my day.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Tony,

BE grabs exclusive hold of the library. To eject a tape from the front panel of the library, or even remove slots, you need to first unlock the library from within BE itself. Once done, you can remove slots and then the tape.

Thanks!

TeeJayUu
Level 4

Thanks Craig - is there anyway to automate/script unlocking the the SuperLoader?

Thanks

CraigV

No, not that I have seen. It's quick though...it literally takes less than 5 seconds for BE to release the lock.

TeeJayUu
Level 4

Craig,

I've been doing a bit of research and found this - http://www.cemguneyli.com.tr/?p=645 - looks like it might do the trick

CraigV

...go for it. Just backup the registry. wink

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

If you use import/export jobs from within BE, you don't need to worry about the locking of hte library as that is handled automatically.

If you wish to bulk load/unload by removing the entire magazine, then you need to run an unlock job first, then an inventory job (or scan) after you have re-installed the magazine.

That registry key is safe to change.  Here is the full details http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH67698

In BE 2012, the default behavior has changed to NOT lock libraries by default.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you use import/export jobs from within BE, you don't need to worry about the locking of hte library as that is handled automatically.

This is not true.  You still need to unlock the library before you can open the mailslot.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

@TeeJayUu - I think you should not disable the locking of the library.  If you do that, someone can remove the magazine while a backup is being done and you might end up with a failure.

You should schedule an unlock job instead.  Right-click on the library and select Unlock.  You will get an Unlock job, you can then use the schedule section to schedule it to run at a convenient time.  I run mine at 0845 hours so that the library is unlocked when I start my day.

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

An unlock job is NOT need when doing an import or export job, except for some libraries in a SAN, as documented on the HCL.

What library have you seen that requires an unlock job?  What interface?  What version of BE?

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

re: @TeeJayUu - I think you should not disable the locking of the library.  If you do that, someone can remove the magazine while a backup is being done and you might end up with a failure.

There should be little risk of doing a bulk tape swap by removing the magazine OR by doing an import/export job while a backup is running.  As long as you have the magazine in place before BE dismounts the tape, there should not be a problem.

Of course, the absolute safest thing is to not touch the library while a backup is running, but that has nothing to do with it being locked, that is a user training issue.

Biker_Dude
Level 5
Employee

An Import or Export job will issue a lock/unlock SCSI command before it issues the MOVE command.  Therefore it is not neccessary to run a lock/unlock job prior to importing/exporting media.  Larry Fine is correct in stating some tape libraries need to be locked/unlocked from each BE media server, in a SAN.  This is pointed out on the HCL for those tape libraries that are subject to this behavior.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Then explain to me why my HP MSL2024 library is still locked after an export command.  I have to unlock the library before I can eject the mailslot.  Otherwise, when I press the button on the front panel, it will say that the library is locked by the system.

For BE 2010, BE locks the library when it does any operation and BE does not unlock the library.  If you do an export after that, you would not be able to eject the mailslot without unlocking the library first.  This is true for HP MSL2024 library.  I don't know about other libraries.

CraigV

...we've got MSL2024 tape libraries connected via SCSI cards to HP servers and they need to be unlocked, so it's not just in a SAN. This is also true of HP StorageWorks 1/8 G1/G2 autoloaders...they all needed to be unlocked before removing tapes or cartridges.

THanks!

Yappy_UCF
Level 2
Employee Accredited Certified
There is some confusion on terminology between unlocking from "BE" vs. unlocking from the "DEVICE" as well as accessing "magazines" vs. "mailslots". Devices with mailslots enabled do not require any additional “BE” unlocking with the import/export job. In fact many library mailslots always remain unlocked. However "magazines" are locked by the software. Specifically with the MSL2024 after an export/import you must still go to the front panel and issue an “OPEN MAILSLOT”. If you are using “UNLOCK MAGAZINE” then the mailslots on the device are disabled, magazines would require an unlock to be issued. If a unlock is still required check with Hardware Vendor to make sure the latest FW is applied and verify your Mailslots configuration settings.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Devices with mailslots enabled do not require any additional “BE” unlocking with the import/export job.

This is DEFINITELY NOT TRUE for a HP MSL2024.  I have to unlock my library before I can eject the mailslot from my front panel.

There is no such thing as an Unlock Magazine function in BE.  As for the front panel of the library or the WebUI, there is no way to unlock the library if it is locked by a software like BE.

I am on the latest firmware.

Yappy_UCF
Level 2
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi pkh

I ran a test on a MSL2024 G3 running FW 5.70 and I did verify that it does unlock when doing an export and import job. 

Going back to the confusion on terminology mentioned earlier.  This unlock I'm talking about is BE's Software unlock to the library.  No physical door actually opens here.  You must still go to the front panel and issue "UNLOCK MAILSLOT" from the hardware for the MSL2024 & on the MSL4048 & 8096 it is "OPEN MAILSLOT" (just noticed it was different for 2024 model).  The lock I am refering to allows an unlock of the mailslot not actually opening the physical door.  This is used for preventing anyone from opening the mailslot without an import/export.  I believe this is where the terminology is being confused throughout this thread.

If you are still experiencing the inablity to unlock your mailslot even after an import/export without running an actual unlock job from BE, I have some troubleshooting steps.   Backup Exec has a SCSI bus trace tool included with Backup Exec at C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\tracer.exe.  Run this prior to running an import/export.  Now click on a line that comes up that reads "PREVENT_ALLOW_MEDIUM_REMOVAL".  Below it should read "Prevent removal from changer - FALSE".  This sends the unlock to the library.  You will notice this same command is sent to the library when doing an unlock job.  And also it will change this to "TRUE" when closing the door and running a lock job. 

Hope this helps