cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System Logon Account failed to access "xxx\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes".

John_Fernandez
Level 2

I am also getting an errror when I try to tick (select) the Microsoft Exchange mailboxes.

Error: 

Logon account (System Logon Account) failed to access "xxx\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes".  Access is denied.

I don't have any problems with accessing the System Manager in Exchange 2003 using the administrator login and password.  I can select the Microsoft Information Store in the job selection list.
3 REPLIES 3

TomMLS
Level 5
Make sure that whatever account you use for running BUE to backup Exchange mailboxes is NOT hidden from the address book.

I found this out by pure luck, we had similar errors after I hid the account, they went away after the account was UN-hidden through ADUC.

HTH Tom

Albert_Chen_2
Level 2
Hi HTH Tom,

I am having similar problem that one of the message in Microsoft exchange mailbox was "In used" ( at 11PM) and caused the backup failed.  I checked the symantec.com and it said "the account I am using might not have enough privilege to access the file"; however, there was no error previously.

You mentioned "Make sure that whatever account you use for running BUE to backup Exchange mailboxes is NOT hidden from the address book".  I was wondering how can I check that?

Chris_Blanchard
Level 2
I was having a similar problem during a migration of Exchange.  When I had moved mailboxes, public folders, etc to a new server I edited my BackupExec selection list to start including the new server.  Sure enough, when I clicked on the Mailbox Store and Public Folder Store in the selection list I received the same error.

It was, indeed, due to the fact that my system account that BackupExec uses was hidden from the address book as was stated in the earlier post.  To fix:

1.  Open Active Directory Users and Computers and find the account under which your BackupExec services run.  This will likely be either "Administrator" or some other Domain Admin account (in my case I created a seperate Domain Admin account for BackupExec services)
2.  Right-Click | Properties | Exchange Advanced tab
3.  Make sure the check box called "Hide from Exchange address lists" is not checked.  This will publish the account in the GAL.

Granted, your users will be able to see it now in Outlook when they use the GAL to pick recipients, but I'm not sure that there's a way around that.  This is just a guess, but I think that after you make your initial selection in BackupExec you can hide the address from the GAL again and it will work.  I try to leave my admin account hidden from the GAL if I can.

-Chris