cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System State / Shadow Copy Components not available on Windows 2000 Cluster Nodes

Jon_Adams
Level 2
After upgrading earlier this year to 11d, I've found that we are no longer getting System State backups from our Windows 2000 server clusters.  The Shadow Copy Components and System State are not available when creating or editing selection lists.

Unfortunately, we didn't discover this until we actually had to perform a bare-metal restore; we ended up going back 6 months through our tapes, until we found a backup that was done in 10.1.

Agent for Windows Servers appears to be working fine; all other resources are available as they should be.  Individual drives and file shares are all selectable.  Non-clustered Windows 2000 and 2003 servers have system state available for selection, and are getting backed up normally.

Any ideas?
5 REPLIES 5

Jon_Adams
Level 2
(thread bump)

anybody have any input on this?  are there additional features that we need to license in 11d for clusters?  am i missing something obvious?

Michael_Ellis_2
Level 5
To get the system state you must choose each physical node not the virtual name of the cluster.  Shadow Copy is a Windows 2003 feature.

Jon_Adams
Level 2
Sorry...confusion in terms.  What i'm looking for is the System State.

We are currently backing up from the physical nodes, not the virtual.  The System State does not appear in the selection list.

Michael_Ellis_2
Level 5
I no longer have any Windows 2000 cluster of my own to check.  Have you tried to get the system state with NTBackup as a short term fix?

Jon_Adams
Level 2
we are using NTBACKUP for now, and it's working fine.  Unfortunately, it adds an extra layer of complexity to our backup regime, which I would like to eliminate.

Just so I'm sure...there's no reason that the System State shouldn't be availble for those servers, correct?

Can anyone with a Win2000 cluster and BE 11d confirm that they're backing up System State from the physical nodes?