cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System State backup fails with 0xe0008488 - Access is denied, but ONLY to tape - not disk ??

tfinding
Level 3
Hi guys

I have strange one - recently I've been unable to backup the System State data of a Domain Controller when writing to tape.

When writing to disk, it's fine!

When I say 'I've been unable to back it up' - the job completes, tells me it fails Access is Denied (0xe0008488), but the byte count is the same (i.e.over 2Gb). The job log lists hundreds of "\Active Directory\CN=" lines with Access Denied.

I get an Event ID : 34113 in Event Viewer as a result.

Backing up normal files from this server to tape is fine.

Any ideas, pointers or things I could maybe try - have trawled the T'Interweb for ideas, but to no avail ?

Many thanks, T
6 REPLIES 6

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi there,

If you go into your Job Log, you should have a specific job error. Could you post it here?

In the meantime, here is a link to a Symantec Tech site which will help you with the Event ID you're getting:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/267107.htm

Laters!

tfinding
Level 3
Hello

Many thanks for the reply. Job error as follows;

Final error: 0xe0008488 - Access is denied.
Final error category: Security Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-33928

Backup- \\Servername.Local\System?State \\Servername.Local\System?State
V-79-57344-33928 - Access Denied. Cannot backup directory \Active Directory\CN=Configuration\CN=Disp...
V-79-57344-33928 - Access Denied. Cannot backup directory \Active Directory\CN=Configuration\CN=Disp...
V-79-57344-33928 - Access Denied. Cannot backup directory \Active Directory\CN=Configuration\CN=Disp.......(there are about 70 lines similar to these)

Unfortunately, the link you posted is too generic, as is the link in the actual job log (above).

Appreciate your time.

Regards, Tony

CraigV
Hi Tony,

Have you tried to remove the RAWS agent and reinstall it on that particular server?

Laters!

tfinding
Level 3

Hi again

I had tried to uninstall the agent, but to no avail.

In trhe end, I had to submit the job with the "....enable the restore of individual objects from AD....." unticked in the Active Directory option panel.

Would have preferred to resolve the issue without removing any additional functionality, but there we go.

Many thanks in taking the time to reply.

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

As you are able to backup to disk without any errors, I recomend to duplicate the disk backup to tape as you might take the tapes offsite and continue to work on this issue.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/256096
How to configure Duplicate Backup Jobs in Backup Exec for Windows Servers (BEWS)

hope this helps...

CraigV
Tony: Have you looked at upgrading to BEWS 12.5 SP3 if you haven't already done so? It seems to address a number of errors experienced when backing up data.