cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SystemState backup

Verneti_Berny
Level 6

Hi all,

Is there any way to compact my systemstate in windows 2008 before backup it in BE2012?

If somebody knows some tips to optimizing and compact my BE 2012, it will wellcome.

My job´s run at night and I have nobody to put second tape in unit, so I need to put everything in one tape.

My data have 24 GB, I´m using DAT DDS4 20/40 GB but it could not compact sufficient.

I think my problem is in "systemState" is bigger.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Jaydeep_S
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

"PowerVault 100T DAT72" is the only 100T series supported with BE 2012 (I am not sure if your tape unit in of this series). Either ways, it looks like the data that you are backing up is larger than the tape capacity you have. You could try the software compression, as using the Hardware compression doesn't seem to be compressing the data enough to fit the Tape.

Having said this, unfortunately, BE doesnot control or set the amount of compression that you can get. So, even after using software compression if the data does not fit on that tape you would have to look for an alternative for backup targets (Tape/Disk devices)

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Jaydeep_S
Level 6

Have you tried to backup to disk at night and then duplicate to tape during the day, while there is someone to replace the full tape.

Also, could you confirm what are the compression settings on the backup job. It would be worth to try using software compression and see if that helps in anyways.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...no way to compact it within BE unless you're using compression.

Thanks!

Verneti_Berny
Level 6

Hi Jaydeep,

I cannot use two tapes, I must use averything in one tape, my settings of compression is "hardware (if available otherwise software)" set in job.

What do you think is better, hardware or software?

My hardware unit is Dell PowerVault 100T (DDS4)

Software BE 2012 windows server 2008 x64.

Thanks.

Kunal_Mudliyar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hardware is better then software compression.

Try doing a hardware compression else none setting.

Clean your tape drive and make sure its firmware is updated

Use  the tape vendors tools and run a compression test see if you have any issues there

Delect things that you dont need from the backup selections.

Also update the the backup exec to service pack 2

Backup Exec 2012 revision 1798 Service Pack 2

Jaydeep_S
Level 6

"PowerVault 100T DAT72" is the only 100T series supported with BE 2012 (I am not sure if your tape unit in of this series). Either ways, it looks like the data that you are backing up is larger than the tape capacity you have. You could try the software compression, as using the Hardware compression doesn't seem to be compressing the data enough to fit the Tape.

Having said this, unfortunately, BE doesnot control or set the amount of compression that you can get. So, even after using software compression if the data does not fit on that tape you would have to look for an alternative for backup targets (Tape/Disk devices)

Verneti_Berny
Level 6

I think strange so much, that I have 4 places with the same equipments and software, but in une place I have compression ratio 2,78 and the other 3 places just 1:1.

Kunal_Mudliyar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Verneti_Berny
Level 6

Thank you Kunal, my day job is ending now, tomorrow I´ll returned to do this issue and post here result.

Thanks again.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Compression depends on the type of data that is being backed up.  Other than invoking compression, BE has no control over how much compression you get.  See my article on this subject

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/compression-short-explanation

To test whether your hardware compression is working, create a directory with some text files and then back up this directory with hardware compression.  You should get a pretty good compression ratio.

Verneti_Berny
Level 6

Thanks at all, I am using software compression and my backups are compression much more than hardware, for example my systemState from 12 GB, after software compression became to 7GB.

Hugs.