cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taking backup of Linux Servers into Tape Drive

binayak
Level 4
Partner
We have two servers running on RHEL 4.8 and RHEL 5. We also have two autoloader tape drives Ultrium-II and Ultrium-III.

We want to go for backup solution like BackupExec 12.5 to take backup of RHEL 4.8 and RHEL 5. The Master Server as well as Media Server will be on Windows 2008 Platform and the backup destination will be those two tape drives.

We want to know will Backup Exec 12.5 help us to take backup of those two Linux Servers? And if so then what are the agents required to take backup of two Linux Servers and two Tape Drives that will be treated as backup destination?

BINAYAK
3 REPLIES 3

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
You can use Remote Agent for Linux Unix Servers for BE, to perform remote backups of these platforms. Also, you did not mention to which machine these devices are connected. If they are connected to the Linux servers, you may also want to consider using Remote Media Agent for Linux, which gives you the ability to backup the data directly from the Linux server to the device connected locally. If the devices are connected to the Windows media server, go ahead and use RALUS to work on it. In order to implement this, you will need to get the license installed on media server and there is a separate download available for RALUS agent software to be installed on Linux server. You may get to following url for steps on installing the Linux Agent:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/282010

Please mark it a solution, if this is useful.
Thanks

binayak
Level 4
Partner

Thanks BEsymc for your support. As per you information what I understood is that :

If Tape Drives are connected to LINUX Server directly :

• for taking backup of LINUX Server, we need "Remote Media Agent for Linux"  and "Remote Agent for Linux or Unix Servers" both.

If Tape Drives are directly connected to WINDOWS Media Server  :

•  for taking bakup of LINUX Servers we need only "Remote Agent for Linux or Unix Servers"
Please tell me whether I am wrong or not.

In our scenario the tape drives are connected to Windows Media Server. Also as per my knowledge is concerned only "Remote Media Agent for Linux" is bundled with Backup Exec 12.5, not "Remote Agent for Linux or Unix Servers". Backup Exec 2010 has "Remote Agent for Linux or Unix Servers". So, for Backup Exec 12.5 do we need to download  RALUS agent seperately? If so, could you please provide me the download link?

binayak
Level 4
Partner
Any updates from your end requires urgently..