Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tape Backup's are not overwriting.

tv4u
Level 3
Partner Certified

Hi Guys,

Nedd your help on this.. I'm new to backup exec. We are taking backups for our servers to tape. We have set OPP as 4 days and backup runs every Tuesday. So if the backup ran today means, the tape is getting overwritable after 4 days which is expected. So on next tuesday when the backup ran again, it is getting the data appended to tape even though the tape is in Overwritable state. This is causing the tape to get full and backups are failing. Kindly help me on this.

Thanks & Regards,

TV.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Monday all servers backup to Monday tape

So, choose 24 hrs Append Period. Make sure first job on Monday configured to Overwrite and all other jobs on the same day to Append.

Second job start at 10 pm and it also set to overwrite, Is this overwrites the tape again? If that is the case we will loose the first job data... right??

If you change the settings as mentioned above, this doesn't happen. And the tape will not be Appendable by next week as Append period is only 24 Hrs and also day starts with overwrite job, so the problem you mentioned in main question also will not occur again. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Make sure that your job specifies overwrite, rather than append.  Also, if you do not want the tape to be appended, set a short AP, like 1 hour.

tv4u
Level 3
Partner Certified

Thanks PKH for the response.. Let me explain the setup in more detail..

we have four servers which backups the data into tape. we follow below process

Tuesday all servers backup to Tuesday tape.. etc..

Library was partitioned as per your suggestion in another forum. Also, we have set OPP as 4 days and append period as "Infinite-allow append". 

So as per your suggestion, If I set overwrite, rather than append will it overwrite my data?

For example, On Monday my first server backup starts at 9 pm and it set overwrite. so it overwrites the tape .

Second job start at 10 pm and it also set to overwrite, Is this overwrites the tape again? If that is the case we will loose the first job data... right?? Kindly explain.. as I said I was new to backup exec..

Thanks & Regards,

TV

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

So, choose 24 hrs Append Period. Make sure first job on Monday configured to Overwrite and all other jobs on the same day to Append.

Second job start at 10 pm and it also set to overwrite, Is this overwrites the tape again? If that is the case we will loose the first job data... right??

If you change the settings as mentioned above, this doesn't happen. And the tape will not be Appendable by next week as Append period is only 24 Hrs and also day starts with overwrite job, so the problem you mentioned in main question also will not occur again. 

tv4u
Level 3
Partner Certified

Thanks Kiran.. This is the same thing which I have done this morning as I didn't get any responses.. So I started using my brain.. :)

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Great going...yes