cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tape Library Off-Line after sp3 installation

Greg_Anderson
Level 2
Hi

I currently have BE 9.1 4691 sp3 installed on two windows 2000 servers Sp4. These servers are using a HP Storageworks MSL 5000 tape library.

I was having a few issues so I upgraded my BE 9.1 4691 installation with sp3 and ever since then once my backups have run the servers seem to lose connection to the library as it shows it as off- line under devices.

I have to reboot the servers in order to reconnect to the library.

Please let me know if you have a solution to this problem.

Regards
Greg
7 REPLIES 7

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Please see the technote below and then observe the result:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/192144

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Thomas_Bohm_2
Level 3
Hi Greg

You still have this problem? Same thing happend with 5 backupservers after installing SP3/4.

Had a long support case with Veritas on this, just blaming hardware.

Thomas

Greg_Anderson
Level 2
Hi Thomas

I have since solved this problem after a long support case as well, eventually they made me delete some files and replace them with files from the original bkupexec 9.1 4691 install.

Let me know whether you require any of this info.

Regards
Greg

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Thanks for the update this post will be archived.

Regards,

Thomas_Bohm_2
Level 3
Hi Greg

I woluld be really interested in the solution that worked for you, i still have to recycle BE services on all backupservices after changing the magazines.

Thomas

Greg_Anderson
Level 2
1. Stop Backup Exec services on the secondary server.

2. Rename the following existing files::

PVLSVR.EXE
PVLSVR_*.DLL
BEERRORS_*.DLL
IPVLAPI.DLL

3. Now, extract the above files from base backup exec installation and and copy them to the directory where old files (which we renamed in step 2 ) were present. For this we will have to download Backup Exec 9.1 and extract the files.Here is the link to download Backup Exec 9.1

http://support.veritas.com/docs/264658
VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 9.1 for Windows Servers revision 4691.1 (Single .ZIP download)

4. Stop the backup exec services on primary server too and follow the same procedure.

5. Restart all Backup Exec services on primary server and then on the secondary server.

If you have a problem with finding these files please give me your mail address and I will send them to you, they are about 2.5mb in total.

Thanks
Greg

Thomas_Bohm_2
Level 3
Greg

Thanks ! Tested with one server and it worked fine.
You really saved my day, i was going to reinstall BE on all backupservers next week.

Thanks
Thomas