cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tape Loading for SQL Backup

Adrian_M
Level 3

Hi,

We have a backup job consisting of a mixture of SQL and Sharepoint backups and the job kicks off at 6pm. The job will always be on hold for about an hour or two before it decides it will load the tape and start doing the backups. There are free tapes and tape drives so there is no reason it shouldnt start the backup immediately.

I cant see any reason for the delay in the backup starting. Is there some background processes it doesnt inform you about to cause the delay?

Regards,

Adrian

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adrian_M
Level 3

I havent split up the backups.. I didnt see any point in it as while it will fix the backup times for the SQL backup, the delay will still be there for the Sharepoint backup. I just put it down to a Backup Exec "quirk" and have left it.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Are there any SQL tasks running during this time when the job is waiting?  What happens when you schedule the job to start a a later time, does it start immediately?

You might want to seperate the resources so that you can see which ones are the ones which do not start immediately.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Also, if consistency check enabled in the backup job properties ( under tools - options - ms sql ) ? If yes, disable it & see if the backup job kicks off right away or not..

Also, check if this KB article applies or not - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH23843

Adrian_M
Level 3

Thank you for the feedback.

I can confirm that no consistency checks are performed either before or after for the backups.

I have rearranged the backup order and no matter which server is set first, i still get the same delays.

I looked at the KB and the job in is hold, not preprocessing.

Regards,

Adrian

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Adrian,

You're not doing any sort of pre-scan are you? If you open up the job log when the job queues like that, does it state anything?

1 other thing to check is to create another temporary job, and point it to a disk folder...see if it also takes a while to start.

You don't mention the version of BE 2010 you're running, but if you're not on R3 with the latest service pack and patches, I'd recommend that you upgrade and then check again. The upgrade is free, you can use your current licenses, and it's a simple case of push-installing your updates to any remote servers you might have. Just grab a copy of your Data/Catalogs folders before doing anything.

Thanks!

Adrian_M
Level 3

Thanks Criag.

We are using 2010 R3 SP1 plus the hotfixes... ie: up to date. Did this to trying to help resolve a NDMP speed issue.

No prescans are done.. when I see the job its just on hold. nothing else mentiooned in the logs.

I have confirmed with our SQL admin that no SQL tasks are happening when the backup starts.

I will try the backup to disk and let you know how it goes.

thanks again for your help.

Regards,

Adrian

Adrian_M
Level 3

Further testing has shown its the SharePoint environment thats causing the delays. Only selecting SQL databases in the test backup begins the backup immediately.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...why not split your backups off from each other then? Split SQL DBs and Sharepoint from each other. Read my article below on this...

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/backing-databases-and-files-same-tape-separate-jobs-using-backup-exec

Adrian_M
Level 3

I havent split up the backups.. I didnt see any point in it as while it will fix the backup times for the SQL backup, the delay will still be there for the Sharepoint backup. I just put it down to a Backup Exec "quirk" and have left it.