cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tape drive goes offline

WikiDonor
Level 6

Hi 

We are using BE2010R3 with sp2 and latest and greatest patch level. Backup Exec is installed on win2008R2 server. We have a tape library [QUANTUM Scalar i40-i80] and 2 tape drives [HP      Ultrium 4-SCSI] connected via SAS. The problem that we facing is the tape drive goes offline automatically. No matter we backup or inventory or quick or long erase the drive goes offline automatically. Here are the steps that we tried in our setup to fix but it has not helped.

1. did a powercycle 

2. disabled and deleted the tape drive ...restarted the services .....but still no luck

3. tried to use kernel mode drivers ....this time the backup went thru 1TB but it brought the drive offline

4. tried contacting the hardware vendor and they say it is backup exec not the hardware.

I would like to know is there anything else we are missing. 

Please Help!!!

And Thanks in Advance.

15 REPLIES 15

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

As per your above comment

4. tried contacting the hardware vendor and they say it is backup exec not the hardware.

Have you tried performing write & read test for the library & confirming the output of it , have H/W vendor suggested it is backup exec issue

Also have you checked for any error in adamm log  or any related events in events viewer like 7,9,11,15.

Have this worked ever before in past. I presume you have check the library is supported as per HCL.

Thanks

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Tape drives should use Symantec drivers and changer should use Windows drivers for BE to manage them as it should. If the devices are using drivers not as above specified, change them accordingly and run a backup.If the same happens, perfrom diagnostics on tape devices using diagnostic tools provided by Quantum.

Before using those stop BE services. Make sure you select the write test also. Incase of any issues reported by the tool, escalate it to vendor with the proof.

You can find the tools here: http://www.quantum.com/ServiceandSupport/SoftwareandDocumentationDownloads/SuperLoader/index.aspx

WikiDonor
Level 6

The link is not working. Did you not check it before providing.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Yes, i did and it is working. Try again...

You can also try googling for Quantum Tape Library Diagnostic Utility. 

WikiDonor
Level 6

Hi 

I get this in App event logs but nothing in system logs.

Error      7/27/2012  12:35:45 AM  Backup Exec                58053
    Backup Exec Alert: Device Error
    (Server: "MELWINBKPP001") The drive hardware is offline.

Please confirm that the drive hardware is powered on and properly cabled.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...no it doesn't! You have part of the link!

OP: Here is the full link:

http://www.quantum.com/ServiceandSupport/SoftwareandDocumentationDownloads/SuperLoader/index.aspx

Click the DIagnostics section!

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Thanks Craig... I do not understand why it is not working for others.

Even now If i copy and paste the link i posted, it is taking me to the correct page.  

I have tried the same even after loggingout from my account and it worked sad.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...unfortunately not for the OP, and not for me :( ...and I didn't mark you down either ;)

Larry_Fine
Level 6
   VIP   

When did this problem start?  What changed at that time?  How often does it happen?

Is it only the tape drive that goes offline?  Or does the robot go offline also?

Please review the adamm.log as it the bottom of it should provide details whenever a device goes offline.

Larry_Fine
Level 6
   VIP   

Kiran's link works for me, but it isn't the OP's library.

Here is the link to the OP's library:

http://www.quantum.com/ServiceandSupport/SoftwareandDocumentationDownloads/SI40/Index.aspx

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Ohhh Finally...

Thanks Larry... There is no diagnostic tools mentioned for scalar libraries in the quantum site. As the OP is having HP drives and quantum mentioned HP tools can be used with Super Loader, i provided that link to OP.

Larry_Fine
Level 6
   VIP   

good point.  I didn't notice that Quantum didn't have a link to HP's Library & Tape tools on their Scalar page.

So, for firmware & docs, go to the Scalar page.  For a link to the diagnostics, use the Superloader page.

matt077
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Have you got any tape media in drive when it goes offline? had it before when a damage tape kept downing the drive in a backup, worth trying a new tape

matt077
Level 5
Partner Accredited

just gone over the case notes for the problem i said above, it happen over two nights, one tape kept downing the drive when the backup job was running, for some unknowed reason back up exec didnt freeze the tape, when looking at the logs, media tape xxxxxx was loaded at the time the backup would fail, after removing the tape the jobs ran fine. :) hope this helps

Julie_Barnes
Level 4

Having a very similar problem:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/tape-drive-dropping-offline-middle-job

Wondering if you every got this issue resolved.