cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tape ejects before verify is complete

rick_fredrickse
Level 2
Backup exec 7.0 on NT4 sp6a. Tape drive is HP StorageWorks Dat24. Everything worked fine until a couple of weeks ago, when server crashed. Reinstalled OS and Backup Exec. Created 5 jobs. One each for Monday thru Friday. Ran each backup job to make sure eveything was working... NO PROBLEMS. Used the same configuration as when everything was working properly. Tapes completed backup and verify in around 10 minutes.
Configuration is as follows in job definition:
Overwrite Media
Backup Method Normal
Verify after backup
Eject tape after job complete.
Overwrite Protection is set to None

Now, every morning the tape from the previous night is ejected, but accessing Backup Exec shows the job at 99% during verify, an alert pops up regarding overwriting media, click OK and another alert to remove tape from drive pops up briefly, then disappears and the job goes to 100% and successful.

Any ideas why this is suddenly occurring and what I can do about it?
TIA for any replies.
7 REPLIES 7

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Since this (Overwrite notice) is happening after a re-install, it probably has to do with the Overwrite Proetection level. Is it set to "Full" or to "None"?

rick_fredrickse
Level 2
You must have missed this in my original post?
Configuration is as follows in job definition:
Overwrite Media
Backup Method Normal
Verify after backup
Eject tape after job complete.
Overwrite Protection is set to None

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Sorry, lack of caffeine, I guess

Have you tried partial rather than none?
Did you import the old catalog into the new install? (ie do the old tapes show up in the catalog?

rick_fredrickse
Level 2
These are new tapes that I created after the re-install.
I created backup job Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri then ran each backup job on a separate tape to make sure all was working. All 5 of these jobs worked just as expected.

I have tried partial, but the problem remains.

Thanks

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
What is the exact alert/warning that you get?

rick_fredrickse
Level 2
Overwriting allocated media... which is normal since it is set to prompt on overwrite and I respond OK

Next error has to do with please remove tape from drive or please eject tape... can't remember exactly, and unfortunately I can't read it this morning because for last night's backup I removed the "eject media after job complete" selection.

Backup completed normally last night....

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
OK -

With NONE selected I would expect ot get the first one. It tells you that the media is allocated and you tell it to overwrire. With partial or full I would not expect to see it.

As for the "Remove Tape" message, see http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/192055.htm for some tweaks that will autorespond to several alerts, including this one