cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tape in Use when no tape loaded

GLS_IT1
Level 2
I am running Backup Exec 12.5 to a Dell PowerVault 122T. We recently had a scheduled system wide shutdown for around 24 hours as the power company were upgrading equipment in the area. When the systems were restarted after the shutdown, Backup Exec is showing that there is a "Tape in use" on our robotic library when there are no tapes loaded in the tape drive. Backup Exec Services have been restarted, and shows the Dell as Offline once restarted. When checking the online box it once again shows "Tape in Use." When trying to Initialize and Re-inventory the library it says a Physicla Volume Library not found. Even when the Dell is switched off it shows the "Tape in use" and that it is Online.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
3 REPLIES 3

JoaoMatos
Level 6
Partner

First of all. Reboot the library making sure that there is no tape in the drive, this is very important. If you reboot a library with a tape in the drive you can have unpredictable events.
After the library reboot, if possible, reboot the media server (the server running BE).
Check if operating system can detect the library, (see device configuration). If not, you have comunications problems.
If Operating System detected the library, ask backup Exec to reinstall the drives, choose to use Symantec drives.

I hope this help,

Joao~Matos

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Pause/unpause the server too...sometimes this fixes. I have no idea why!

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi there,

Have you come right here at all...?