Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tapes not ejecting or inventorying

Jack_Dorsey
Level 5
Greetings All,

Running Backup Exec 12.5

I have found an issue that started happening this Monday morning where I can no longer run Inventory or Eject Jobs on my Quantum DLT-VS1 tape drives.  I have the Symantec drivers installed on these drives and my 12.5 install of Backup Exec has been running flawlessly for 6 months.  I did not make any system changes this past weekend.  The only thing that happened this past weekend was my routine 2 jobs ran successfully.

When I try to perform an Eject operation, I click on the Job Monitor tab and can see the job running, and running, and running.  This can go on for 5 hours if I let it.  A cancel operation does not work.  I have to reboot the server and eject the tapes by pressing the eject button on the drives.  The Eject Jobs both show a status of "Queued" and the "pause" indicator shows on the jobs.

Similarly, the same happens when I try to perform an Inventory Job.  

My routine nightly backup jobs all run sucessfully without issues.

Any ideas on this?  I've rebooted the server twice since this began happening.

Thanks, Jack
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
The above mentioned problem can occur if for some reason the Backup Exec database has the ServerStatus flag set to indicate that the server is "Paused" but the Backup Exec console is unable to display that status in the Backup Exec User Interface.
1.Click on the devices tab
2.right click on the server name
3.click pause
4.then click unpause

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Lance_Daschle
Level 3
You didn't mention, but did you try to turn off/on the tape device?  I only suggest this becasue I had a problem where my tapes wouldn't show up even after an inventory.  After I did this and let the library find all it's tapes, it was happy.

Jack_Dorsey
Level 5
Interesting...I can do that with one tape drive as it is in a rackmounted loader.

The other is in the server itself, mounted in a 5.25" drive bay.  I will shutdown the server completely and report back.

Thanks, Jack

Jack_Dorsey
Level 5
Unfortunately that did not work. 

I tried an Inventory Job on one of the tape drives.  After the "initializing" message clears, the job instantly goes into a "queued" state and does not progress further, nor will it allow a cancellation task (sits at "cancellation pending").

Thanks for the idea though.  I thought that might have been it!

Lance_Daschle
Level 3
Well the next thing I would try would be drivers, deleting the device from BE and re-adding, or repair install of BE it's self.  But that is me and I typically like to start from bottom up when diagnosing a problem.

Jack_Dorsey
Level 5
I am trying the drivers now as a matter of fact.  I'll report back my findings in a moment.

Thanks!  Jack

Jack_Dorsey
Level 5
A reinstall of the Sym drivers didn't work, either.  On to a repair install of BEX.  This is so weird!  Nothing has changed at all.

Graham_Moseley
Level 2
I have exactly the same problem that started to occur on Monday so would be interested if you find a fix. I have also tried removing and reinstalling the tape device without success. i will also try a repair install

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
Pause and unpaause the server  from the device tab

Graham_Moseley
Level 2
I tried stopping and starting the services again but the device and media services are now stuck in stopping mode. I am going to reboot the server in a short while.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
The above mentioned problem can occur if for some reason the Backup Exec database has the ServerStatus flag set to indicate that the server is "Paused" but the Backup Exec console is unable to display that status in the Backup Exec User Interface.
1.Click on the devices tab
2.right click on the server name
3.click pause
4.then click unpause

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
also make sure you have the following hotfix installed http://support.veritas.com/docs/329045

Jack_Dorsey
Level 5
RahulG, you're my hero.

Thanks much!  This was killing me.  I've marked your solution tip as "solved."

Best, Jack

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
Thanks a lot !!!! Cheers