cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Force Backups to Backup NIC

Lance_Daschle
Level 3
Hello, my problem is that I can't get the backups to go over the separate backup network segment.  I have added the correct entries in the host file and also changed the publishing media server to use the backup segment IP address.  It will work if I force it in the job to use only that backup segment, but I use policies to create many jobs that span over many backup segments.  So I am trying not to have separate policies just because of network segments. 

Please help.  Thanks very much.

3 REPLIES 3

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
In order to configure a particular network interface to be used, you will need to use the Backup template to specify network adapter, otherwise the backup job would not know which NIC to use, and will go by whatever Windows takes. The IP set on remote agent is just used for advertising itself, it has no control over which NIC, the media server would use. You may try setting a NIC under "Network and security" tab in backup job properties and also specifiying the setting "use any available network route for remote agents not bound to..... ". That way it would use the specified NIC for the remote agents that are working on that network and for others it would use default route as taken by Windows. So, you would also not require setting up separate policies for this.

Please mark it a solution, if this is useful.
Thanks

Lance_Daschle
Level 3
Ok, I understand this.  But it does not answer the problem fully.  I would say half of the servers configured to use the same template are going over the backup segment and half are not.  If I ping them they resolve with the backup segment because they are in the host file.  So why does Backup Exec not use that segment when running the job?

I don't know if this is relevant but on the servers that use the backup segment the registry key: 'HKLM\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Status\IPAdress' has their backup segment IP address, and the ones that are not using it have the "routable" data segment IP address.

I do not consider this problem fixed yet because I feel like there is something I am missing that is causing some of the jobs to use the backup segment, and some not to.  Thanks for your help.

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
In the remote agent utility on the target servers, configure the IP address which you want to be used.

Thanks