cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Advanced Open File Option (AOFO) is not installed on the target compute

Luciano_Jesus
Level 3
I have a Windows 2003 Server with Remote Agent and AOFO installed (and rebooted), but when a run the backup in the Backup Server its show a error message "Snapshot provider error (0xE0008500): The Advanced Open File Option (AOFO) is not installed on the target computer."

I Checked the Windows Event Viewer for detail but none important was showed (The Volume Shadow Copy service was successfully sent a start control...running...and stopped).

I checked the Windows Services and the Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Servers is running well.
I tested with a Windows 2000 and its work well, but in any Windows 2003 not.

The stranger is that the error happens when in the Source Selections has some entire logical drives (D$, E$, F$ and G$), but if I select one few folders and/or files in those drives no error is showed.

The configuration of Advanced Open File Options are:

- Use advanced Open File Option.
- Open File Configuration: VERITAS Volume Snapshot Provider.
- Process logical volumes for backup one at a time.

I uninstalled and reinstalled remote agent with the help of the technote (253620) but the error still.

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

Please uninstall and install the AOFO option by following the technote given below and then reboot the server and verify.

(title)How to install and uninstall the Advanced Open File Option to remote Windows servers from the command prompt
http://support.veritas.com/docs/253620
To check for the presence of the Advanced Open File Option (AOFO) on a remote machine:
1. Open Windows Explorer
2. Browse to %SystemRoot%\system32\drivers (%systemroot% is typically C:\winnt or C:\windows)
3. Look for VSP.SYS. This is the driver responsible for AOFO operations.
If no VSP.SYS driver is found, then the AOFO option is not installed.
NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Luciano_Jesus
Level 3
As I witted, I installed remote agent with the help of the technote (253620).

The vsp.sys file is in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers directory.

If I select one few folders and/or files in some directory its work well, but If I select one or more entire logical drives (D$, E$, F$ and G$) its show the error.

So, what more can I do ?

Thanks

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

WE would like to konw whether you have rebooted the server if not please reboot as a reboot is neccessary after installing AOFO option.

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Luciano_Jesus
Level 3
Yes, I rebooted the remote servers with AOFO, and it still the same problem.

Thanks

Luciano_Jesus
Level 3
I discover the problem is because the user what I used in "Resource Credentials" was not administrator privilegeus,
so after I give administrator privileges to this user, used in Backup Exec the Remot Agent work well.

But, I don't agree to this policy, because it is to much privilegeus, and furthermore the Backup Operators privilegeus is just for this target.
So, do I really need to give administrator privilegeus to Backup Exec user in remote machine ?
l just need know if it has another alternative? If don't, It will to start a war between I and the Network Administrator.

l agree they can let me know

Thanks for this