cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Backup Exec Device and Media Service cannot start because it detected a database schema version mismatch

Kimmy_Shun
Level 5

I have one CAS with BE2014 and MS SQL Server 2008 SP3 installed, one  MMS with BE2014 and MS SQL server 2008 R2 (combined in BE2014 package)

I removed BE2014 and MS SQL Server 2008 SP3 and then reinstalled my CAS with BE2015 and MS SQL Server 2008 SP3. Keep MMS unchanged.

After that , I found the Backup Exec Device and Media Service cannot start with error

"The Backup Exec Device and Media Service cannot start because it detected a database schema version mismatch"

Can you advise if schema version mismatch is due to the DB version I installed on MMS is of MS SQL Server 2008 R2, but the DB on CAS is MS SQL server 2008 SP3?

Or It is because DB schema different in BE2015 and BE2014? Not related to the DB version on CAS and MMS ? Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Did you use the old BEDB when you reinstalled the CASO with BE 15 ?

If yes, use this KB for upgrading the BEDB schema - https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH50537.html

Also, do upgrade the MMS from BE 2014 to BE 15.

Kimmy_Shun
Level 5

Hi VJware

So you meant BEDB schema in BE2014 is different with BE15?

Now I restored my CAS back to BE2014 and DB 2008 SP3, and then the service of MMS can start up properly.

How can I make the MMS to stand alone ? So that I can remove the DB and BE on CAS? Thanks

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You don't have to make the MMS to stand-alone. You can just do an in-place upgrade of the CAS to BE 15, then upgrade all the MMS to BE 15

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Yes, the schema version of BEDB changes with every BE version.

Kimmy_Shun
Level 5

No, I temporary reinstall CAS with bE2014. I need to remove the DB(it is SQL express) and reinstall BE2015.

So I want to make MMS to stand alone first. I don't want to upgrade the MMS to BE15 now, because server need to restart for reinstallation, right ? and it will have problem to run the daily job after I upgraded the CAS to BE15 but keep MMS with BE2014.