cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The device, \Device\Scsi\adpu3201, did not respond within the timeout period

Melvin_Batenbur
Level 3

For the past week I have been getting botherd by Backup Exec with the following error: (Server: "xxx") The device, \Device\Scsi\adpu3201, did not respond within the timeout period. Every once in a while I get like 500 e-mails with this error. After some Google and reading this forum, I found out it has to do with some kind of SCSI error, but in almost every case something fails on the Backup itself. How ever this is not the case for me. Backup is still running perfectly without any errors what so ever. Mostly we can replicate this error after a reboot of the server or restarting the Backup Exec services.

Does anyone have any clue where I can start looking for solving this error?

Thank you very much!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Go to windows event viewer and take a backup if you want and delete all the events. Clear all of them and recycle the BE services. Make sure your RSM(removable storage services) is disabled on BE server

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

sksujeet
Level 6
Be is generating these errors from the scsi interface. Please check what all scsi devices you have connected to your server. Make sure all of them are plugged properly, you can try unplugging and plugging them backup in. Try to recycle the scsi devices and the server to see it resolves the issue

Melvin_Batenbur
Level 3

Currently only have one SCSI device on the server and that is our IBM tapedrive. What I have tried so far: Shutting down the server, unplugging and plugging the scsi cable, turn on the server. Unfortunately the error remains. So then I tried to recycle the scsi devices and the server, but no luck either. I am going to try the other SCSI port we have on the server, but on recommendation of IBM we should remain at the current one.

sksujeet
Level 6

Make sure RSM is disabled. If that is also disabled then try to run a repair of BE from add remove programs. Unplug the IBM tape device completely and recycle the server. Try to launch the BE to see if it still gives the error. If it still gives the error then it is pulling it from the BE database or event viewer.

In that case go to windows event viewer and delete all the events. Clear all of them.
Above steps should resolve it

Melvin_Batenbur
Level 3
Trying the othe SCSI port has led to no result either. Same error keeps on popping up.

sksujeet
Level 6
Go to windows event viewer and take a backup if you want and delete all the events. Clear all of them and recycle the BE services. Make sure your RSM(removable storage services) is disabled on BE server

Melvin_Batenbur
Level 3

Woow! Never thought that clearing the entire windows event viewer could actually solve this problem. Do you have any idea why clearing the event viewer can result into stopping this error?

sksujeet
Level 6
Yes I have seen it before as well. What happens is that Backup Exec keep pulling that information from the event viewer and if we clear it from the event viewer it has no where to pull it from.

Melvin_Batenbur
Level 3
Interesting! Thank you very much for the support sazz!