I get the following error when doing a backup:

0xe00084af - The directory or file was not found, or could not be accessed

The full output looks like this:
Set type               : Backup
Set status : Completed
Set description :
Resource name          : \\SERVER\D:
Logon account : System Logon Account
Error                  : e00084af - The directory or file was not found, or could not be accessed.
Agent used                     : Yes
Advanced Open File Option used : No
Image used : No

Start time             : Friday, August 10, 2007 11:00:04 PM
End time : Friday, August 10, 2007 11:00:12 PM
Files                  : 0
Directories : 0
Skipped files : 0
Corrupt files : 0
Files in use : 0
Byte count             : 0 bytes
Rate : 0.00 MB/Min

It will backup nothing. Before testing I had a remote share (UNC) being backed up and that still works.
Right when it gets to the local disk the backup will fail.
I edited the selection list, created a new backup job, attempted to backup 1 file on C:\ or D:\, created a B2D folder.
Nothing will allow the backup to work. I also tested the credentials which works.
I'm not using AOFO.
Thanks!
4 REPLIES 4

andy_osborn
Level 3
Update:
I found that this started the day that I installed SQL Server 2005 Express Edition (for WSUS, Anti-virus, and other programs). SQL server 2000 is still installed and functioning but I assume it's related.

I uninstalled fully (I left no configuration settings) and reinstalled Backup Exec and I get the same exact problem.

Can Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition be on the same server that Backup Exec 10 is on?

Thanks!

Simon_Harpham
Level 2
If you're getting a "Event ID: 57860 Source: Backup Exec Type: Error Description: An error occurred while attempting to log in to the following server: "SERVERNAME". SQL error number: "0011". SQL error message: "[DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist or access denied" message in your server logs then try this for a fix:

I have to say this didn't fix our problem (which is still baffling the heck out of me), but that's not to say it won't fix yours.

Cheers

Simon

andy_osborn
Level 3
Thanks for the info!
It didn't actually fix my problem but it made me read my events a little closer. I noticed I was getting events dealing with SQL Instance MICROSOFT##SSEE which is embeded edition, what my WSUS is using (I'm migrating it to Express Edition though).

Originally I only shut down the Express Edition services but I tried a backup with this instance being down and it worked!

Thanks for the help!

andy_osborn
Level 3
I suppose I spoke a bit too soon. It does work when I stop the SQL service but I have to stop both of them. I need at least Express Edition 2005 to be running, I was going to uninstall Embedded anyway.

So now the problem remains where I need Backup Exec 10 to run with SQL Server 2005 Express Edition.

Thanks!