cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The disk is offline - when clearly its not - BE 2012

shabbaranks
Level 4

I seem to be having continuous problems with backups stating that the disk is offline. We have a rolling daily backup, a weekly backup and monthly. So the daily tapes are used once a week.

If I go into the storage all the current devices which have been migrated across to BE2012 are there, and the state of last nights drive (Monday) is set to online. The error within last nights backup is

The disk is offline.

This is typically caused by the folder becoming inaccessible due to it being deleted, renamed, or unshared. It may also be caused by a disk full condition. The folder state has been set to offline. Please attend to this condition. Additional detail may be found in the Event Viewer - Application Log.

How can this be when its cleary not offline?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Have you removed the B2D from the Storage tab and re-added it in?

shabbaranks
Level 4

I hadnt\havent removed anything. I'll take the disk out of the sata\usb enclosure and put the new disk in. I then go into the storage tab to check its online and I then leave it for that nights backup as per the image below.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...if you put it back online? BE normally doesn't detect a removable drive unless it is configured as such...

Steve_Kratz
Level 4
Partner

I've had just the opposite. I have a rotating pool of 4 drives (connect one at a time & switch out weekly) and today, BE2012 decided to report them ALL online. (They all have different drive letters, and are configured as B2D devices.)

Something's definitely strange with the disk detection.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Perhaps your problem is because you defined Disk Storage on those disk.  Disk Storage are for fixed disk.  I am not sure if this is possible but maybe you can try to define Disk Cartridge Device for these disk.  Disk Cartridge Device is for removable disks, like USB thumbdrives, etc.