cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The job failed with the following error: A communications failure has occurred between the Backup Exec job engine and the remote agent.

Frank_Keunen
Level 2

Dear Sirs,

I have an issue regarding Symantec Backup Exec at a customer.

Current IT Infrastructure at the customer:

- VMware ESX 4.1 infrastructure (100% patched) - approx. 10 Virtual Machines (100% patched)
- Management Server (physical) - Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 (100% patched), 2 HP LTO4 Ultrium tape drives (each connected to separate SCSI interface/card) (latest drivers/firmware) (checked at HP for any issues)
- Symantec Backup Exec 2010 R2 SP1 (100% patched) (Agents used: VMware ESX, Exchange, SQL and Windows Server)

4 jobs:
Backup to Disk (copy of VMware infrastructure to disk part 1 - folder 1) (scheduled at 17:00)
Backup to Disk (copy of VMware infrastructure to disk part 2 - folder 2) (scheduled at 17:00)
Backup to Tape (copy of VMware infrastructure to tape part 1 - tape device 1) (scheduled at 03:00)
Backup to Tape (copy of VMware infrastructure to tape part 2 - tape device 2) (scheduled at 03:00)

Problem I currently have: The first 2 jobs always run without any problems. But the 3rd and 4th job sometimes fail to complete with the following error:

The job failed with the following error: A communications failure has occurred between the Backup Exec job engine and the remote agent.
Error reported: A device attached to the system is not functioning.
V-79-57344-34036 - An unknown error has occurred.

I’ve tested the tape drives with the LTT software from HP. No errors were encountered during a full test read/write to tape. 

BR – Frank
IT-Pro Evangelist
Microsoft IT Consultant

3 REPLIES 3

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Is your device and media service is running under domain account?

If not it may be the cause for your issue.

Thanks..

Frank_Keunen
Level 2
Yes, it is running as a Domain Administrator account. BR – Frank IT-Pro Evangelist Microsoft IT Consultant

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Refer to the following article and check for the event codes mentioned in the article.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH128475

Regards...