cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The job failed with the following error: The operation failed to acquire the minimum number of drives and media needed.

bellissimopytho
Level 5

I have windows 2003 mediaserver with be2012 vray. Iam trying to make a testbackup. The library is a TS3100 partitioned in 2 slices and I am trying to backup a virtual machine. The vm is a windows 2008 server.

My problem is the following error:

The job failed with the following error: The operation failed to acquire the minimum number of drives and media needed.

But it's very strange because the library have 7 scratch media (same are empty and same are erased) and 2 empty media associated with the right mediaset.

The mediaset is TEST that has 1 hour  append period and 1 hour overwrite protection.

In the backup job I have tried all options: overwrite media, append media and append media terminate job.

But I have always that message.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Is this a One-Time backup or a Scheduled backup ? If its the former, setup a scheduled backup and recheck.

Set the backup job to "overwrite" or to "append to media, overwrite if append not available "and do ensure the tapes are not manually assigned to a media set prior to the backup job.

If the partitions are removed, does the backup run successfully ?

Is the storage device online ?

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Is this a One-Time backup or a Scheduled backup ? If its the former, setup a scheduled backup and recheck.

Set the backup job to "overwrite" or to "append to media, overwrite if append not available "and do ensure the tapes are not manually assigned to a media set prior to the backup job.

If the partitions are removed, does the backup run successfully ?

Is the storage device online ?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...check the 2 TNs below and see if they help:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH69127

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH130733

Thanks!

bellissimopytho
Level 5

I have scheduled a backup and works...