cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The specified volume does not exist

shypolite
Level 3
We have recently set up a new server running  Windows Server 2008 and backup exec5. It also has SQL 2005 installed. We are trying to back it up but we keep getting the following message

e0000352 - The specified volume does not exist, recreate the volume and then try the job again.

It gives a link to V-79-57344-850

The server does appear to back up the drives. It falls over when it gets to the System?State.

There seems to be very little within the symantec support pages, and what little there is seems to relate to restores
11 REPLIES 11

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Please provide the detailed error message from the job log, or try posting the job log..

Thanks

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

BackupExec 5?

isn't that one of the desktop versions,? (That are all seriously out of date)

SystemsAdminAS
Level 5
I agree with Ken, you really want to utilize a newer version of BE if you're going to be backing up technologies as new as Server 2008 and SQL 2005 (not sure what minimum version level should be, but most folks out there are using BE 11.x, 12.x or 2010).  Not sure about BE5, but if you uise a newer verions of BE (9.x+?) you will ned to purchase an agent license to back up SQL 2005 databases with it.

Before upgrading the software though, do you have all available hotfixes / service packs for BE5?  Are they even available anymore?

shypolite
Level 3
sorry. That was a typo earlier. Should have read backup exec 12.5

shypolite
Level 3

deleted the back up job last night, and scheduled a new one. Got the same error this morning

shypolite
Level 3

We are using Backup Exec 12.5 (64 bit version) to back up a Windows 2008 server v 6.6001 sp1.  The server is also running  SQL server 2005 (64 bit version).The backup falls over when it reaches the System State.

I have gone over the job settings a number of times and ensured that the VSS is switched on.

I have also re applied the indices from within backup exec.

Everything else seems to back up okay. I've checked the symantec websites and can find no solutions to this problem.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi there,

What does your selection order look like?
Data drives, SQL, System State?

If so, do you have the SQL agent installed? I have seen backup sets fail the minute they get past failing an agent backup (in my case, mainly Exchange, but it has happened with SQL). It actually fails with the agent, before completely failing the job on the next step of the selection list.

Laters!

shypolite
Level 3
hi
the selection order is  c,d,e drives then Sql server backup Exec, Sql Server (local DB), shadow copy components and finally the system state.

SQL agent is installed.

I have also tried just backing up the system state on its own but to no avail

CraigV
Mmm...is Backup Exec 12.5 fully patched with the latest SP and patches?
If so, has that been done recently, and did you push the updates out via a push-install of the RAWS agent?

shypolite
Level 3

we are on 12.5.2213.0. is that the latest version.
What do you mean by push install? Do you mean installed remotely? Not sure. just joined the organisation and this happenned just before i started. I would imagine the person who installed it would have done it at the server

CraigV
Hi there,

Any news here?