Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thousands of scratch files and upgrade to R3

mickelingon
Level 5
Partner

Hi

We have thousands of scratch files in our BE 2010 R2 installations.

If removing these they come back within a couple of days.

We now need to upgrade to R3 in order to try to get rid of this terrible bug.

Should we delete all scratch files before upgrading or just upgrade?

//Mike

10 REPLIES 10

newsolutionBE
Level 6

Hi

Are this file for dedup or normal backup to disk

I think would be good idea if they are normal backup to disk file but if those are dedup file just upgrade to BE 2010 r3 sp1 & should fix the issue

Thanks

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

How b2d jobs are configured to start? They should start always as overwrite only. Also change the media management setting from tools menu to "Overwrite recyclable media in target media set before overwritng scratch media". 

Regards....

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Where do you see the scratch files, are you using dedup?

EDIT : There is no harm in deleting the scratch files.

Before upgrading to R3 stop SQL server BKUPEXEC service and make a copy of

the DATA and CATALOGS folder, both the folders are located at the below localtion.

X:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\

mickelingon
Level 5
Partner

This is for dedup

mickelingon
Level 5
Partner

We are using dedup and have the bug that creates thousands of scratch files.

I deleted the scratch files and upgraded to R3, but now all jobs are in queued state.

Does anyone know what to do.

For obvious reasonds we do not wnat to solve this by deleting and recreating the dedup folder.

Kind regards

Mike

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Do you see any alert in the Alerts tab of BE console.

Is the job configured to overwrite or append?

newsolutionBE
Level 6

Hi

You can erase first all scratch file first & then please follow the document below as you are saying you have got thousand of scratch media files so following the process as per document to normalize it should take around 4-5 days

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH130103

Then once it is back to normal please upgrade to BE 2010 r3 sp1 should resolve the issue

Thanks

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The user has already upgraded to R3.  Read his previous post CAREFULLY.

mickelingon
Level 5
Partner

@newsolutionBE, that has been done. This took about 4 days and did not solve anything.

No backups are running so I have to recreate the dedup folder in order to get anything to work again. This sucks though.

mickelingon
Level 5
Partner

Hi

I placed a call to Symantec pointing out that this is actually making our backups not to run at all and hasn't done so for a couple of days. I quickly got a hold of a technichian explaining to me that there is a patch (SP) for R2 and R3 released that should scan your whole dedup store in order to reclaime space and alla that ;)
I was wondering if this actually should interfear with my backups and he said yes. A solution was to run a Dummy job and let it scan all your OST files. This could take days though he told me (I appreciate his honesty). But I don't think this is a solution of any kind making my backups halt for days.

These are the technotes explaining the matter 
http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH145157

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH159843

The reg key settings didn't work though

I will now have to recreate the dedup folder in order to get the backups up and running by tonight.

Mike