cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Throughput rate is slower with no changes

Ben_Tan_2
Level 3
I am running Backup Exec 10d SBS edition.
The only changes are that a SCSI attached RAID device has been added and data has been moved to it.
Backups were normal for about a week where suddenly the throughput rate decided to halve itself only on certain backup sets.
Also even though the job starts at the same time, the time stamp for the first backup set is 1 hour later than normal

Before:
C: 500MB/s
D: 1700MB/s
E: 2000MB/s
F: 1000MB/s
G: 1600MB/s
Exchange Mailbox: 200MB/s
Exchange Public Folder: 80MB/s
Exchange First Storage: 2300MB/s
Shadow Copy: 700MB/s

Now:
C: 70MB/s <== AHH!
D: 700MB/s <== AHH!
E: 2000MB/s
F: 1000MB/s
G: 800MB/s <== AHH!
Exchange Mailbox: 200MB/s
Exchange Public Folder: 80MB/s
Exchange First Storage: 2300MB/s
Shadow Copy: 20MB/s <== AHH!

G: is the new RAID device which you can see was working. The data was moved from E: to G: so you can also see that E: was not affected.

This has resulted in the job runnign an extra 5-6 hours which is something I don't really need!

Any ideas?
4 REPLIES 4

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

Do you mean to say that now the device is connected to a RAID controller? Note that Backup exec does not support RAID controllers. You can move the device to its own standard SCSI controller and test the results. Refer to the following link for more information:

Why is it recommended that tape devices should not be connected to RAID controllers?
http://support.veritas.com/docs/191488

Ben_Tan_2
Level 3
Hi,

No the tape drive is on its own SCSI controller, it is not on a RAID controller.
I was just stating that the only difference was that there was additional RAID device added. But backup was running at normal speed for a week after it was installed.

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Please check whether the device is "tested" by backup Exec with the help of the list below:

If yes then please install latest veritas drivers.

Symantec Backup Exec for Windows Servers (tm) 10d (10.1) Hardware Compatibility List. Includes HCL information for supported drives, libraries, virtual tape devices, fibre-channel HBAs, switches, routers/bridges, and iSCSI components. For printing purposes, the latest version of Acrobat is recommended.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/281670

Latest veritas drivers for 10.1:

Symantec Backup Exec (tm) 10d (10.1.5629) - Device Driver Installer (20060615) - Includes Tape Driver Release (18) and Robotic Library Release (64) (Intel Only)

http://support.veritas.com/docs/284012

Thanks,Message was edited by:
Sharvari Deshmukh

jonathan_ziluck
Not applicable
any solution to this slow down issue yet?
we are having the same issue except that we havent added any devices to the system. just one day about a week ago i came in to find the job cancelled by timeout after reaching the 10 hour max i set in the job properties. the amount of data it had backed up at the time it timed out was less then half that of the previous night's backup which completed successfully in just under 6 hours .
when looking at the throughput rates for the backup sets in the job logs i see the successful run the night before this began had a rate of 583 MB/min
and the job that timed out and has each time since then even after reboots and service restarts and even new tapes is 131 MB/min.......
not sure why this changed all of a sudden however i have confirmed that the network is running fast and clean with no excessive traffic and rebooted all servers that get backed up several times to make sure no data on any of them was hung up .

any ideas?
thanks in advance
jon