cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time Interval

colin_hatr
Level 3
I know this is easy but I can't seem to figure it out. I have a window of time that I am allowed to backup certain data. basically from 11:30pm until 4:30am. After that time the databases I am backing up are remounted and can't be backed up without interfering with the daily operation.
I know I can change the start time but is there an option that tells the backup to STOP at 4:30 no matter how far along it is?

If that can't happen I know since the backup takes 3 hours, I can set the "and no later than" option to just a few minutes after the "start no earlier than" which will only give it a few minute window to start but it is really important that no matter what the backup isn't running outside of that 11:30pm to 4:30am.
any suggestion?
4 REPLIES 4

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
What database are we talking here? If it is DB2, Oracle, or MSSQL, you can purchase an Agent that will allow you to back them up "hot"

if not, can you use the utilities from the database to dump to a file and then grab that with flat file backups?

colin_hatr
Level 3
I am trying to do this without the agent. Basically what I am given is a window of time when those database are not mounted and can be backed up. The software vendor suggests NOT using the agent because of past problems with their software not the agent.

so basically the task is making sure I can get in and out (backup wise) within that time window

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
AFAIK, there is no option to kill a job after it has run x amount of time.

I suppose that you could script something up using BEMCMD to check for an active job and then cancelling that, but you may very well wind up with a useless backuop if it is cancelled

again, if you have the disk space availble, can you dump the database(s) to disk and then grab that with a flat file backup, or while they are dis-mounted copy them and backup the copy?

colin_hatr
Level 3
Hey Ken
thanks soo much not only for the info but for the fast response. I really appreciate it and you saved me hours of testing and of pulling my hair out

thanks again