Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transaction Log Truncate in passive node of DAG

MSI_iqbal
Level 5
Partner Accredited Certified

Dear All,

My client have a backup exec 2014, wants to backup DAG Microsoft Exchange 2013 via passive node only. I wonder, will backup exec 2014 truncate transaction logs while backup via passive node since the transaction logs only exist in active node? I have not a resource to lab this case, anyone can help me?

Thanks,

Best regards,

Iqbal

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Replication is from active to passive, however your query is more of an Exchange in nature rather than specific to BE and maybe best to check in the MS forums.

That being said, in response to your original query, committed logs are truncated whether you backup from the active or passive node.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

VJware
Level 6

afaik, it doesn't matter which node (active or passive), the full backup is made from. Log truncation will occur at either node. When full backup from the passive node is made, committed logs are flushed from this node and then replicated over to the active node and flush from their as well.

MSI_iqbal
Level 5

Does the replication works from active to passive node, not the vice versa? 

MSI_iqbal
Level 5

there is anyone can help me??

VJware
Level 6

Replication is from active to passive, however your query is more of an Exchange in nature rather than specific to BE and maybe best to check in the MS forums.

That being said, in response to your original query, committed logs are truncated whether you backup from the active or passive node.

MSI_iqbal
Level 5

Ok thanks VJware

Best regards,

Iqbal

matildefernande
Not applicable

Active or passive node is not an issue. It will not harm anything.

Symantics
Level 2

On this topic, could someone tell me how to have the backup job only use a specific passive node server and ignore one that is located say over a WAN link?

MSI_iqbal
Level 5

Please make new discussion for this topic.

i though this discussion already closed.