cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trial version of Netware Agent ?

Earl_H
Level 3
We are testing the 60 trial of Backup Exec for Windows Servers.

I would like to test the backup of a Netware server using Backup Exec.

Is there a trial version of the Netware Agent ?

11 REPLIES 11

criley
Employee Accredited
Yes - it's already included in what you have. To start the install, just open up the windows admin console and go to Tools-->Install Remote Agents....

Earl_H
Level 3
When I chose this option and then chose the Remote Novell Servers, the only option I have is 'No NDS Tree Found'.

Do I need to install the Novell Client software on the server before this will work ?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Yes, you do need a Novell Client on the media server

Earl_H
Level 3
OK, I installed the Netware client on the backup server and was able to install the remote agent to a netware server.

I ran BESTART.NCF to start the agent on the Netware server.

I can't figure out how to select the remote Netware server in Backup Exec.

From what little documentation I can find in the HELP files, the Remote Netware Agent should be in the 'Favorites' list with the selections Macintosh, Linux, etc., but it is not there.

How do I select a remote Netware server for backup ?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Have you installed the Remote Agent serial on the media server?

If you logon to the media server as the backup exec service account, can you see and connect to the Novell Server?

Message Edited by Ken Putnam on 08-03-200708:28 AM

criley
Employee Accredited
Yes, you should see 'NetWare Agents' under 'Favorite Resources'. Make sure that name resolution is working in both directions.

Earl_H
Level 3
I'm using the 60 day trial, so I do not have a serial number to enter.

The media server is a Windows 2003 server.  The service uses the local system account to login.

The Novell server needs to be accessed by the .admin.mycompany NDS account.

How do I get the Windows 2003 server to authenicate to the Netware server ?

I am NOT seeing a Netware option under Favorites when selecting a source to backup.

criley
Employee Accredited
Have you checked to see if name resolution is working in BOTH directions? If it isn't working - update hosts/dns and then try again..

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
The Novell server needs to be accessed by the .admin.mycompany NDS account.

So you have not created an account for the BackupExec Service Account in Novell with the same password as the AD acount?

Earl_H
Level 3
I have not created a BackupExec account in NDS with admin permissions.

Currently, I am logged in to the Windows 2003 server hosting BE as 'administrator'.  I have the Novell client installed on the server and am logged into my company tree as '.admin.mycompany'.  I am able to navigate to the Novell server in My Network Places and see the volumes and files.

In BE, when I select Backup, the Favorite Resources only has options for Linux/Unix Servers, Macintosh Systems, and Windows Systems.  Netware is not shown

Earl_H
Level 3
OK, I found a solution...  finally !

I modified the file sys:\bkupexec\advrtms.dat on the Netware server to use the IP address of the BE Windows Server and not the name.  Then I ran BESTOP.NCF and BESTART.NCF on the netware server.

At this point, I am able to see and select the Netware server for backup jobs.

One other quark, the 'Test Volume Credentials' screen that allows you to test and make sure the login account name and password are working does not work when you select a Netware server.  I receive 'access denied' each time I run the test.  I have tried every possible combination of user name, NDS context, full distinguished, etc. and none of them work.  But, if I skip that step, the back job runs just fine without any 'access denied' errors.