cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble Backing Up Individual Mailboxes

Chris_Ames
Level 2
Hi all,

I’ve recently installed Backup Exec for Windows Servers v10, and I’m having some problems getting the individual mailbox backup to work with exchange. It lets me select the option for the mailbox backup, and I can see the list of mailboxes, but if I click on the plus sign next to a mailbox, instead of showing the folders inside, it just says “none” as if the mailbox was empty. Then, when the backup runs, it comes up with a directory not found or bad data error message for each mailbox.

The information store backup seems to work fine, however, and the mailbox backups used to work fine with the same logon credentials when I used ARCServe BrightStor 9.

Here are the details…

1. I am running Backup Exec for Windows Servers v10

2. I have the MS Exchange agent installed on the backup server and the remote agent installed on the exchange server.

3. The exchange version is 5.5.

4. The account I am using to backup the exchange has organisation, site and server rights on the exchange (service admin).

Things are slightly complicated by the fact that the backup server is running Windows 2003 and we’re in mixed mode, but as I mentioned above, this didn’t affect anything when using ARCServe and we have a similar setup working with Backup Exec at other sites (although I did not set those ones up).

Could this be some kind of permission problem, or is this a known issue? Do I have to install an outlook client on the backup server with a profile setup? As far as I can tell, this shouldn’t be necessary, but I’m sure it must be something I have failed to do!

Any help would be hugely appreciated!

Thanks,

Chris
2 REPLIES 2

Chris_Ames
Level 2
Please could someone baby-step me through exactly what actions must be taken to give an account full rights to backup individual mailboxes on a remote exchange server?

Here’s what I currently have…

There are two domains. One is running on Win 2003 and one is on NT4. The network is setup in mixed mode and all the trusts are fine between the domains (I know this because the mailbox backups used to work with ARCServe, and the information store is backed up fine).

The backup server (BE10 with exchange agent) is on the 2003 domain, and the exchange server (5.5, with remote agent) is on the NT4 domain.

I have two logon accounts set up in backup exec. The system logon account is a domain admin on the 2003 domain, and the second is a domain admin account from the NT4 network. Both accounts have full service admin rights on the exchange organisation, site and server, and both have local admin rights on the exchange server. The NT4 account also has its own unique mailbox on the exchange that I can log on to and send/receive from on the backup server.

As mentioned, the information store backs up fine when I use the NT4 account credentials, and it lets me choose and view the individual mailboxes when I use this account in the job selections.

The problem is, it cannot see any of the sub-folders inside the mailboxes (it says “none”) and fails when I run the backup. The error message I get when it tries to backup the mailboxes is “Directory not found” and “cannot backup directory”.

Any ideas? I'm sure I can't be the only one who's seen this issue. What have I forgotten to do?!?

Thanks!

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

What is the OS of the exchange server? You can refer to the following technotes which as you asked will baby- step you in verifying the configuration needed to backup Exchange:

Title: How to configure a Microsoft Exchange 5.5 and 2000 individual mailbox backup for Backup Exec 8.x, 9.x or 10.x software
http://support.veritas.com/docs/249456

Also check the following:
None of the Exchange components can be seen in the Backup Selections window within Backup Exec 9.x /10.x for NT/2000, despite the fact that the Exchange Agent has been correctly installed.
http://support.veritas.com/docs/249060

Also check if the user account of the mailbox that you are backing up is disabled in active directory. If yes, it can produce the error you receive. Enable the account in that case and test the results.

Hope the above information helps. If the problem persists, do write back to the forum.

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.