cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trust relationship not established & overwrite period not applying

TechnicalAnal1
Level 3

Hi,

I have repeating issues with our backup. We're using Backup Exec 2010 R3. We have 2 2008 R2 standard 64 bit servers, back1 (fully patched) & back2 (needs some additional patches). Back1 is our main backup server.

I recently tried to backup Exchange 2010 sp1 using Back2, but received an error 'failed to establish a trust relationship between remote and media server'. This message is not applicable with back1. Once both servers are at the same patch level, how can I ensure that I can use either backup server to backup my target servers?

A big issue I have on back1 is that the backup to disk often runs out of space. When I look at the device node of backup exec, I can view the media and I often see 'IMG XXXXXX' allocate date 1/1/1970, scratch media, used capacity 0 bytes, available capacity 0 bytes'. I then look at folder IMG XXXXXX and see that under windows explorer the folder actually consumes around 150GB of disk!! This is causing our backups to pend and prompt for media load. To get around this, I have to delete the folder manually from Windows explorer and run an inventory, but surely I shouldn't have to do this every 3-5 days?

We also have problems with Backup Exec backing up Exchange 2010 R3, we consistently get the 'failure querying VSS writer' at the verify stage - just for information. I've already spoken to Symantec about  this, we've applied patches, changed GRT options, B2D options, modified the Exchange backup settings and modified the media set size to Symantec's recommendations - but still we get that error. I'll see if I can run a Windows Server backup on my DAG, if that works I can safely say it's Backup Exec.

I would really appreciate suggestions on points 1 & 2.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

refer the following

http://realitsolutionsinc.com/realblog/?p=101

In the Media configuration, select All Media in the navigation tree on the left.  On the right, locate your Backup-to-Disk Folder, right-click it and select Associate with Media Set.  Choose the Media set you’re using for the rest of the B2D job so it will obey the same retention rules.  From now on, Exchange data will be assigned to the correct Media set and will therefore be removed as needed.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

I'll respond to points 1 and 3 then...

1. Are you trying to backup the Exchange server with both media servers? if so, BE sets up a when you remotely install the RAWS agent, and configures the media server's name/IP under the Publishing tab of the RAWS agent. You might need to configure this to show both media server names or IPs.

3. Have you looked at reregistering the VSS *.dlls as per the TN below?

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH70486 

Also, not sure why you've been directed to a webpage outside of Symantec's own support site, but the easiest way to sort out your B2D is to check your OPP and Append settings and adjust accordingly. Alternatively, look at increasing the size of the B2D if you are able too...

Thanks!

TechnicalAnal1
Level 3

Rahul,

I'll make sure I do that, however I'm a bit concerned that the values showing under overwriteable and appendable are often not being used correctly in backup jobs.

Craig,

We want 1 main backup server, but have the ability to use both backup servers to backup the Exchange DAG, in case 1 fails. I'm not sure the best way to establish a secure connection so that both media servers can backup the DAG.

I haven't tried registering the DLLs, but will do as a last resort

Thanks

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

If you had the hardware resources, you could look at clustering your backup servers. Otherwise, do this as follows:

1. Set up the trust relationship between the Exchange server and your main backup server. You can do this via the push-install functionality from your media server, or manually edit the RAWS agent on the Exchange server.

2. Configure the backup jobs on the second server as you have on the first server. If you trust the agent on the Exchange server, then just edit that IP/host name out of the RAWS agent, and if you need to use the second server, put the details back in again.

Here's a TNs on how to cluster BE:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH32702

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH49565

Thanks!