cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trust relationship error trying to restore 7 yr old backup for machine that no longer exists

caw001
Level 0

Hello,

I am trying to restore an Exchange backup from 2010 for a server that no longer exists.  I have cataloged the tapes, selected the data to be restored and selected an alternate path (just trying to dump the DB's to disk).

However, when I run the restore I receive the following error message:  Job ended: Wednesday, March 08, 2017 at 8:30:20 AM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe0009b86 - Backup Exec cannot connect to the remote agent because a trust relationship was not established between the remote agent and the media server.  To establish a trust relationship, add the remote agent to the Favorite Resources in the backup selections tree.

I am not sure if it is looking for me to install an agent on a machine that no longer exists or if it wants me to install an agent to the destination server (which is the Backup Exec server).  Obviously I cannot do either.

How can I get these DB's restored to a disk?

Thank you,

Chris

2 REPLIES 2

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
The best way to do this is to run a duplicate job, and duplicate the Information Store to disk. Once done, you can then restore as per Microsoft best practice. Thanks!

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Just to and a bit more to CraigVs answer

As long as GRT was enabled when you backed up the Exchange data originally, then if you duplicate from tape back to disk it will create an IMG folder in the disk location and if you look inside this folder, the EDB files etc (for Exchange) will be there.  Once you have thse files, there are various, non-Backup Exec options/products, that may allow you to access the e-mails (although you will need to do some research)

Newer versions of Backup Exec also have a redirect to PST option and in theory as long as your original backup job was one with GRT enabled you could use this option (as long as you are now using one of the more up to date BE versions and have a supported version of outlook installed somewhere that our remote agent service is running on.) Note: As we limit testing to more recent versions, we will not have officially tested a redirect to PST restore where the version that did the backup is from some time ago so this may not work but could be worth a try.

Apart from the redirect to PST option Backup Exec has always been designed to recover Exchange data into the same version of Exchange (in fact the same version part is an MS limitation not ours), hence the option of perhaps using the IMG folder content is not something we can advise on with regards to methods once you have the EDB etc files on disk.