cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to get Backup Exec SBS 10.1 to recognize WDNetCenter Drive

Tom_Francis
Level 3
Just installed Backup Exec for SBS 10.1 and downloaded the latest patches.

In addition to a tape drive I have a Western Digital NetCenter 500G Drive. This is an external drive that you plug into a switch or router and it can be accessed from anywhere on the network.

I have been trying to get access to the drive using options under the Devices menu without much success. I have tried Backup to Disk and Backup to Disk Folder but get messages that the path cannot be found.

If anyone has any wisdom to share on this it would be greatly appreciated.
9 REPLIES 9

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

As a preliminary step verify the compatibility of this device with BE v10.1.

Please refer the following hcl:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/281669.htm

Regards,

Tom_Francis
Level 3
Thanks for the suggestion... I did go there first. The device is not listed. But then neither are any of the usb drives that the threads report numerous successful applications for.

Hopefully, someone will have an idea here.

Thanks again.

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

If the drive is not listed in the HCL we cannot garantee the backups...

Thank You,

Shweta

james_ellis
Level 2
Hi Tom

The netcenter I tested worked the following way. I created a share throught the utility. I searched for comp through IP and mapped the shared folder. When created a back up to disk folder I browsed through My Computer and chose the network drive. When manually entering the path it fails. Could be a networking or firewall issue. Let me assure you though it does work.

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello Tom,

Could you pleas Update us on the issue....

Thank You,

Shweta

Tom_Francis
Level 3
I used the WD utility to create a shared folder and then mapped it using \\\share - which became Y:

I then went into backup exec and tried to create a backup to disk folder and browsed to the Y drive, selected it... but when I hit OK I get the message "system path cannot be found".

What am I missing here?

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

Are you able to access the new created drive from your own server. Are you able to manually copy the files to it ?

Regards

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Tom_Francis
Level 3
Yes to both. In windows explorer I can browse and have full functionality... I can see it in the browse window of backup exec in the create file folder window.

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

Kindly request you to check if the drive is compatible.

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/281669.htm

Thanks